Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on January 08, 2014, 07:12:49 pm

Title: Something different...
Post by: David Eckels on January 08, 2014, 07:12:49 pm
...for me. Does this qualify as a pastel?
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: RSL on January 08, 2014, 07:17:23 pm
Why not? Nice, David.
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: wmchauncey on January 08, 2014, 07:21:01 pm
I like it...would liked to have had the whole flower in the shot.
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 08, 2014, 07:26:42 pm
So, not all is doom and gloom and harsh contrast and blackness in your world. Glad to see there is room for soft shapes and peach-colored roses too. :P ;) A nice one!
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: wmchauncey on January 08, 2014, 07:31:09 pm
Rose...I thought that is was mashed potatoes infused with food coloring.        ::)     ;D
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: David Eckels on January 08, 2014, 07:53:50 pm
So, not all is doom and gloom and harsh contrast and blackness in your world. Glad to see there is room for soft shapes and peach-colored roses too. :P ;) A nice one!
Sigh. You must be rubbing off on my Slobodan!
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: wolfnowl on January 09, 2014, 01:41:23 am
Nicely done, David!  My wife Marcia is renowned in our photo group for her flower/macro work using her cell phone camera (although I do push stuff around in LR for her). You can see some of her work here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfnowl/sets/72157634686854104/

Mike.
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 09, 2014, 03:56:12 am
Really lovely. A pleasure to look at.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: Rob C on January 09, 2014, 04:57:07 am
What a beautifully gentle photograph.

Rob C
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: brandtb on January 09, 2014, 08:19:26 am
very nice Dave. /B
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: AFairley on January 09, 2014, 10:23:31 am
Works for me and I think the crop adds quite a bit to the image
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: PeterAit on January 09, 2014, 10:35:22 am
...for me. Does this qualify as a pastel?

No, because it's a photograph. A very nice photograph, to be sure, but still a photograph. A pastel is a drawing created with pastels.
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 09, 2014, 11:43:30 am
From a dictionary:

Quote
Pastel = 2 a soft and delicate shade of a color
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: David Eckels on January 09, 2014, 12:26:01 pm
No, because it's a photograph. A very nice photograph, to be sure, but still a photograph. A pastel is a drawing created with pastels.
I thought about that when I posted 'cause I knew that from high school art class! Glad to see you folks on your toes! I should have said, "Do these qualify as pastel colors?" ;) Slobodan really is rubbing off on me, I fear.
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: David Eckels on January 09, 2014, 12:28:20 pm
What a beautifully gentle photograph.
High praise Rob, thank you! Really, thanks to everyone.
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: AFairley on January 09, 2014, 01:17:01 pm
Slobodan really is rubbing off on me, I fear.

That's the problem with pastels....  ;)
Title: Re: Something different...
Post by: David Eckels on January 09, 2014, 02:06:41 pm
Nicely done, David!  My wife Marcia is renowned in our photo group for her flower/macro work using her cell phone camera (although I do push stuff around in LR for her). You can see some of her work here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfnowl/sets/72157634686854104/

Mike.
Thanks for the link, Mike. Lovely!