Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: Wolfgang Haeussler on January 05, 2014, 03:33:03 pm

Title: Creative sharpening layer in Photoshop
Post by: Wolfgang Haeussler on January 05, 2014, 03:33:03 pm
I've a beginner question related to sharpening.
I'm using Lightroom for capture sharpening and would like to know where and when to do the creative sharpening in Photoshop. Is it after global / local adjustments and corrections or after retouching?
What is your workflow recommendation?

Thank you for your help.
Wolfgang
Title: Re: Creative sharpening layer in Photoshop
Post by: Tony Jay on January 05, 2014, 03:42:33 pm
Hi Wolfgang, welcome to LuLa.

Are you going into Ps just to do creative sharpening or are you doing other adjustments in Ps?
The answer does have a bearing on how to advise on this issue.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Creative sharpening layer in Photoshop
Post by: Wolfgang Haeussler on January 05, 2014, 03:52:21 pm
Hi Tony,

I'm doing other adjustments like midtone contrast, local tonal corrections and retouching as well.

Wolfgang
Title: Re: Creative sharpening layer in Photoshop
Post by: MichaelEzra on January 05, 2014, 05:14:23 pm
I save a cleaned up file (skin retouching, geometry corrections, etc.)  prior any kind of sharpening. This file also does not include any severe tonal adjustments.
For disk space saving purposes, jpeg2000 at 99% lossy quality is generally sufficient. There is no detectable loss of spatial resolution, and very minor loss of tones in shadows.
The purpose of this file is to be able to go back, but post raw conversion, to reuse all cleaning work and then generate a new tonal / color / sharpening interpretation of the image.
Title: Re: Creative sharpening layer in Photoshop
Post by: Tony Jay on January 06, 2014, 03:40:53 pm
I'm doing other adjustments like midtone contrast, local tonal corrections and retouching as well.

In your case leave creative, and output, sharpening till last in Ps.

Tony Jay