Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2014, 03:15:46 pm

Title: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2014, 03:15:46 pm
A mid-afternoon shot, but I processed it with a fluorescent WB because... well, because I like it that way :)

(http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5542/11783613466_b244c4cdfe_c.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/11783613466/)
Brooklyn Diner (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/11783613466/) by Slobodan Blagojevic (http://www.flickr.com/people/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: RSL on January 05, 2014, 04:26:10 pm
It's good, Slobodan, but I get this feeling that if I stepped into that scene I'd turn blue too.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2014, 04:35:56 pm
It's good, Slobodan, but I get this feeling that if I stepped into that scene I'd turn blue too.

 ;D

Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Telecaster on January 05, 2014, 04:54:27 pm
I like it a lot. IMO neon signage gives you license to use any color scheme you wish.   :)

I presume a joint calling itself Brooklyn Diner isn't actually in Brooklyn. The Detroit area, where I live, is chok-a-blok with Coney eateries (in fact there's one within sight of the coffee shop where I'm typing this), many of which serve founded-in-Detroit Ballpark franks. You can't even buy Sabretts here.

-Dave-
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2014, 05:08:35 pm
... I presume a joint calling itself Brooklyn Diner isn't actually in Brooklyn...

Correct. There are two of them in Manhattan and this particular one is near Central Park.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: pikeys on January 05, 2014, 05:15:20 pm
Try eating there,you wont be disappointed
If memory serves me correctly,its on 57st.,right off Broadway-great burgers,the best pecan pie
Yes,I'm a Brooklynite.
Great image Slobodan,captures the light Manhattan gives ,at around 5am
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: PeterAit on January 05, 2014, 06:18:36 pm
In general I love the shot, but - I have never seen blue sidewalks in Brooklyn. BTW, how's the food?
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2014, 06:50:58 pm
Coincidentally, I captured the other Manhattan location as well, the one at Times Square. This time at night.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: pikeys on January 05, 2014, 07:04:56 pm
Peter,
Try it ,you'll like it-this diner is packed during the day,most business people eat there,on a daily basis
Just bring all your credit cards!!!

Slobodan-2nd shot also excellent-you've captured the crowded Times Square craziness ,and the taxi insanity, perfectly.-

Question--Would you consider printing this,if  you had to,on a metal paper?-just curious??

Mike
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2014, 07:52:18 pm
... Would you consider printing this,if  you had to,on a metal paper?-just curious??

Either metal paper or directly on aluminum sounds like a good idea.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Telecaster on January 05, 2014, 09:41:24 pm
Coincidentally, I captured the other Manhattan location as well, the one at Times Square. This time at night.

Well I'll be damned...I've eaten there! Only once, though. Know the location well, did not remember the name at all. I may even have a photo. Oy...

-Dave-
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: BobDavid on January 05, 2014, 11:28:57 pm
The first Brooklyn Diner photo is very tasty (no pun intended). I like the mood, bluish light, and the in-your-face composition. Nice.

The Times Square photo is good, but not as compelling as the first.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: wolfnowl on January 06, 2014, 02:17:01 am
Trying to capitalize on the winter cold?  Nice shot, BTW!!

Mike.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 06, 2014, 09:33:19 am
Do they serve Bluefish?


I like it, Slobodan. But I think I might even push the saturation a bit more (and I don't think I've ever suggested that about any other photo).
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 06, 2014, 06:02:17 pm
... I think I might even push the saturation a bit more (and I don't think I've ever suggested that about any other photo).

I think you are right, Eric, both the content and processing can withstand a bit more cartoonish approach :) I subsequently updated the OP photo. it might pop a bit more if you click on the Flickr link, as it goes against a black background there.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: WalterEG on January 06, 2014, 06:35:49 pm
Slobodan,

I like the OTT colour on Flickr but I wonder if it might have more snap if your selectively reduced the red in the yellow neon with a layer mask?

It is a cracker shot!!
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 06, 2014, 06:47:49 pm
Well spotted, Walter. Done. I actually did it in Lightroom, using the Hue slider.
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 06, 2014, 07:17:23 pm
Yes! The Flickr one is just right!
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: davidh202 on January 06, 2014, 08:22:50 pm
Bingo! well done
Title: Re: Brooklyn Diner
Post by: cjogo on January 06, 2014, 10:43:35 pm
Guess I could get use to the BLUE -- the image is wonderful ~!  BUT  the cast -- its like improper indoor Extachrome = filtered :-)