Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: HSakols on January 05, 2014, 11:11:48 am
-
I recently discovered that I can no longer use my remote trigger with my Nikon D800. I believe the connector need to be replaced. Before I package it up and send it to Nikon for repairs, I wanted to know if there were any other alternatives to having my problem fixed. Is there a person or shop that can fix this with less hassle than Nikon? I dread sending my camera to Nikon because in the past I have gotten back my gear in worst condition (only one time). I know the trigger release connector has been a problem with other photographers. Any suggestions welcome.
-
Fixation do a great job with Nikon gear.
http://www.fixationuk.com
-
I have used an independent authorized repair shop for many years and gotten superb results. However both Canon and Nikon are now restricting sales of repair parts to only a select group of repair stations that purchase a fairly substantial minimum volume of repair parts as I remember. These repair stations must also sign an agreement that they will not resell repair parts to other repair shops. It may come to pass that your only option will be factory repair facilities.
-
Johnstone are good for either warranty or non-warranty Nikon repairs:
http://www.ajjohnstone.co.uk/
.
-
Thank you for all of your replies. I'm also looking at Precision Camera. They worked on my Minolta Scanner a number of years back and did an excellent job. Now I got to get off my arse and send it in!
-
Just an update.
The retailer specifically asked that I send my D800E (which had died completely) to Fixation Limited (see above).
They did a great job - two pcbs replaced and a complete service and clean. Total turnaround time - 1 week. Cost, including return postage - £315.
Very well satisfied.
-
Does any have a recommendation for a similar svc in the US?
-
Problems with the 10-pin connector is a common QC problem with the D800 cameras. I would expect Nikon to repair this at no charge under the circumstances. Worth giving them a call to check or sending the camera in to them as they will provide a cost quote before starting the work and the shipping of the camera back to you is done at no charge regardless.
If there is a flaky circuit board they are going to have a direct replacement whereas this would need to be ordered from Nikon by an independent shop.
With a $3300 camera I would prefer to have it opened at Nikon and repaired by them.
-
I've decided to send it to Precision Camera. They gave me a quote of $160.00 for the job. I'm thinking Precision Camera will be quicker but I could be wrong. But I guess I should call Nikon anyway. I was supposed to send it in last week, but I can't seem to part with it.
-
With a $3300 camera I would prefer to have it opened at Nikon and repaired by them.
In the specific case of Fixation; They're able to act as first call for warranty guarantee repairs for Nikon and Canon in the UK.
I know quite a few pros that would prefer Fixation to work on their cameras rather than the manufacturer, they have probably the best reputation for quality and speed of repairs for anywhere in the UK including the manufacturer's own repair centres.
-
In the future, try:
www.kurtscamerarepair.com/
They are based in San Diego (where I am living BTW). One of the *few* Nikon authorized repair shops still in existence. In fact, since Nikon changed policies to not resale many repair parts, Kurt's remains one of 2-3 shops in San Diego (huge metropolitan area) that is able to buy repair parts. In fact, they keep a ton of parts in house so repairs can be done relatively fast.
As far as price....don't ask me. I would imagine it to be in-line with the respective cost of the equipment (D800 -- pricey; D40 repair -- much less).