Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: wolfnowl on January 05, 2014, 01:01:41 am
-
An Interesting Retrospective: http://connect.dpreview.com/post/5533410947/smartphones-versus-dslr-versus-film
Mike.
-
I wan't aware that Nokia have produced an updated version of their ground-breaking Pureview 808, with a more useful operating system.
I'd be interested to see comments from anyone who has used the Lumia 1020. It appears to have a slightly smaller sensor than the Pureview 808, but still bigger than most P&S digital cameras, and certainly much higher resolution at 41mp.
The main thing that worries me a bit is the very slow frame rate at full resolution, about one shot every 4 to 5 seconds, which is not good for HDR purposes.
The fixed aperture of F2.2 is a lesser concern because this works out at F8 in 35mm terms, which is a reasonable compromise, but is nevertheless not ideal when one wants a really extensive DoF.
A big attraction is the DNG RAW capability which appears to have been a later addition through a firmware update.
I wonder if I'll be able to resist buying this camera/phone. Would someone please criticize the phone rigorously and help me save a bit of money. ;D
-
Sorry, Ray, can't help. I looked at the Nokia and got as far as the Windows Mobile operating system then moved on. I have Win 8.1 on my computers, but even then I've bypassed the 'Metro' in favour of the Start8 desktop from Stardock.
-
Well, perhaps my bank balance is saved for the moment. The Lumia 1020 seems to be in short supply in Australia. What worries me is that very slow frame rate. It's such a disadvantage that I feel certain it will be remedied in the next model, so it might be better to wait a while.