Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Todd Suttles on January 04, 2014, 11:17:35 pm
-
I would appreciate any C&C. Thanks in Advance. -t
a second attempt playing with split tone; again dont know good from bad so hoping for honest critiicism
-
Hi Todd,
First off I like the photograph. Good choice of subject, good composition, plenty of interest, and nice textures. As Russ would say, don't change a thing.
A few processing comments; please don't take these as "you should do this or that" comments, it is more of a mind-dump. First, I am intrigued as to why you chose a square crop for this one, when the background subject is rectangular. Of course I don't know what was in the frame that you cropped out. Second, you have gone for a very high contrast BW effect and in this case it seems to work well. You might consider adding some grain to the processing - the super high contrast looks maybe a bit unnatural without a bit of grain. I think I may have mentioned in another of your threads that for BW processing you can go a lot further with contrast adjustments (not just the contrast slider, but whites, blacks, highlights and darks as well as clarity) compared to colour and get away with it and this is indeed true. However, just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it. In the case of this particular shot high contrast works, but please don't feel you have to do it all the time. Same goes for post crop vignetting; maybe you went a bit far with that in this case.
-
Thanks for the input Ed. I will work on it some more and in different ways; also will post full frame, raw so you can see origin. I would be interested to see how you would crop the original too. Thanks again, -t
-
I think it is a good documentary shot and the processing school of "do as little as possible" may apply.
-
My first thought was why crop into the word pawn but after scrolling down I agree with your decision. I don't see much in the way of split toning. My monitor is calibrated but all in all I like what you have achieved. An image than can be successfully processed in many ways.