Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: stevesanacore on January 04, 2014, 10:59:40 am
-
I think the Sony A7R is quite a step forward for architectural and landscape photographers. The ability to use my Canon shift lenses, Leica R, and most other lenses is the closest camera yet with a universal mount.
But until I can tether with C1 Pro or Lightroom, I can't consider using it on jobs. Does anyone have a clue as to the status of its tethering ability?
Has someone come up with a solution?
Thanks.
-
I think the Sony A7R is quite a step forward … But until I can tether with C1 Pro or Lightroom, I can't consider using it on jobs. … Has someone come up with a solution?
C1 Pro support is coming, apparently. For Lightroom, both Mac and Windows, see
http://dslrsoftware.com/tethered_shot.php
The Lr version even has a module to link to additional iPads etc.
Alternatively, a basic implementation is to use Sony's 'Wireless Auto Import' and set a 'Watch' folder from within Lightroom.
-
ps
Haven't tried either, yet - just the options I've found so far.
-
I do not anticipate native tethering support for Sony anytime soon in Capture One Pro. Note that raw file support for the A7 line is already present in C1 and, in comparison to LightRoom, produces much better rendition of fine detail and diagonals (though my opinion is obviously biased).
Capture One uses SDKs provided by Canon and Nikon to tether to those cameras.
You'll need to use a Sony or 3rd party app to do the actual tethering and use a hot-folder in C1. This method loses a lot of the joys/tools of native tethering.
-
… C1 and, in comparison to LightRoom, produces much better rendition of fine detail and diagonals (though my opinion is obviously biased).
Your bias is spot on.
-
How to tether with C1
http://www.phaseone.com/en/search/article.aspx?articleid=2269&languageid=1
Don't know if it works with Sony's auto import or the DNA software. It should - Doug ?
-
I have used the DNA plugin for LR5 and it works very well. You have to set the camera's USB connection mode to PC remote.
Sony has their 'Remote Camera Control' software for Mac that basically places the pictures in a folder of your choosing when you shoot tethered, so that could be used for watched folder auto-importing for C1 I suppose. You can download it here: http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/525288 (http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/525288)
Even though it doesn't mention the A7r is supported, it still works.
Ben
-
Doug,
I would assume that Sony would be very proactive to get Capture One the SDK to allow tethering to their cameras. Wouldn't it make their cameras even more attractive to pros that use that workflow? But it wouldn't be the first time manufacturers see things differently and make decisions that hampers their sales.
-
I have used the DNA plugin for LR5 and it works very well. You have to set the camera's USB connection mode to PC remote.
Sony has their 'Remote Camera Control' software for Mac that basically places the pictures in a folder of your choosing when you shoot tethered, so that could be used for watched folder auto-importing for C1 I suppose. You can download it here: http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/525288 (http://www.sony.com.au/support/download/525288)
Even though it doesn't mention the A7r is supported, it still works.
Ben
Vers. 3.2 supports the A7 and A7r.
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Mac/rcc/us.html
-
Vers. 3.2 supports the A7 and A7r.
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Mac/rcc/us.html
Thank you!
-
Vers. 3.2 supports the A7 and A7r.
http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/imsoft/Mac/rcc/us.html
do you know if you can save raws onto card and only send jpegs to the computer? i used to do this with canon software and it was very fast. with usb2 i guess this is too slow for any usable speed of shooting if you needed to send raws to a computer.
Paul
-
I'm sure all these solutions will work but it's like going back in time ten years again. I hope we get tethering support directly with C1 soon. I guess if the Sony software is good enough, I could learn to live with it until C1 catches up.
-
I think it is unlikely that Sony will provide a SDK. They never have. As far as the pro market, Sony has never been a pro camera in the way that Canon and Nikon are. If you shoot Sony, you are on your own. When I bought into the A900 I had hopes that would change, but it hasn't and I don't think it will. That isn't to say we shouldn't use Sony, just that we are kind of on our own in many ways.