Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: wmchauncey on January 03, 2014, 08:02:24 am

Title: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: wmchauncey on January 03, 2014, 08:02:24 am
In spite of being barely 100 yards away, this gazebo located on a peninsula was barely visible.

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/pagoda-in-snowfall-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/pagoda-in-snowfall-copy.jpg.html)

Title: Re: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: RSL on January 03, 2014, 08:52:47 am
Were there more trees to the right, Chauncey? It's not a bad shot, but the composition would have been better with the gazebo a bit farther to the left and perhaps a couple more trees to the right. A crop won't cut it because the picture doesn't work out as a square.
Title: Re: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: wmchauncey on January 03, 2014, 12:35:06 pm
I'm thinking this crop looks better.

(http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l383/chauncey43/gazebo-in-snowstorm-copy.jpg) (http://s329.photobucket.com/user/chauncey43/media/gazebo-in-snowstorm-copy.jpg.html)
Title: Re: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: RSL on January 03, 2014, 01:29:53 pm
Well, it's my personal opinion, and I'd like to hear some other opinions, but I don't think the picture lends itself to the static impression given by a square. I liked the 3/2 aspect ratio in the first version, but I'm sorry the gazebo is centered. I do like the change to true B&W. The toned version just didn't fit the situation.

By the way, what I'd gather are wisps of snow that cause the image to fade in and out make the picture look as if it came from a piece of sheet film that wasn't properly agitated during development.
Title: Re: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: dhancock on January 03, 2014, 01:30:56 pm
I would agree about the crop.
Title: Re: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 03, 2014, 03:01:56 pm
Your second version looks better, almost Michael Kenna-esque.
Title: Re: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: Richowens on January 03, 2014, 06:40:25 pm


   My opinion.
Title: Re: gazebo in snowstorm
Post by: cjogo on January 04, 2014, 01:38:11 pm
I would day keep the  pink hue out --- desaturate >>  and split the difference in the crop == just somewhere between ....leave some space .