Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on December 28, 2013, 02:17:37 am
-
B&B entrance ... white on white
-
this was a +2 development -- want those grey walls past Zone 7 .... I exposed for the lows ( the vase stayed in the 3-4 ) and developed to move the walls to white with detail ,,,
Not sure how to accomplish this in digital ?? Without a busy time in CS .. :P
-
This is digital, below, in a similar vein - the walls are actually much whiter than in the image, but then if reproduced that way, they just fade out into nothingness that defeats the purpose of the sense of enclosure. With film, I never gave a thought to any of the 'Zone' stuff at all: I simple exposed for the shadows and processed using D76 1+1 at a standard (my own findings) temp and time. It always seemed to be just great. Obviously, transparencies were the reverse: incident light reading for the important highlights. And that was where the reading skill lay.
There are also several David Hamilton images in this genre - probably shot at his home in Ramatuelle, in southern France. Surprisingly (when one thinks of his reputation), he has also done rather good shots of Venice, too. I guess the truth is that when you are a gifted artist, you can pretty much turn your hand to most things, and it's only personal predilection that takes you in one direction more than in others.
Rob C
-
I had to use to the ZONE system > to eliminate all the post work in the darkroom .. I could do a contact print from my 4X5 -- and the B&W would just fall into place -- with little or no work, at all. With a calibrated screen there is plenty of detail /white in my posted image.