Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: KatManDEW on December 27, 2013, 12:11:39 am

Title: iPF6300 with USB or network?
Post by: KatManDEW on December 27, 2013, 12:11:39 am
I just reinstalled Windows on a new HD. Should I install my iPF6300 connected to USB or network? I had it installed with USB before. Is it any faster with the network? I'm not very network knowledgeable, so would it be tricky to setup with a network connection?

Any advantages or disadvantages to using network versus USB?
Title: Re: iPF6300 with USB or network?
Post by: I.T. Supplies on December 27, 2013, 12:00:57 pm
You can plug it in either way.  If you want the faster connection or hooking up to a network, Ethernet would be the best.  You can hook it up via USB as it will run the same way.  If you do large qty's of prints, it's best to go via Ethernet as USB may slow down the process a little.  Either way, it's a plug and play set up.  You install the drivers while it's connected and the OS should read it upfront.

Hope this helps.
Title: Re: iPF6300 with USB or network?
Post by: howardm on December 27, 2013, 12:25:35 pm
if you are going to go w/ an Ethernet setup, then you'll want to give the printer a 'static IP address' vs. the more home-common 'DHCP' (dynamic address).   

With a dynamic address, the printer may receive a different address at some random time in the future (or after a power-up or home power outage, etc) and then you'll be back here saying 'I used to be able to print but now I can't'  :-\

Also, an Ethernet connection allows you print from different computers vs. a USB connection where you're kinda limited to the one that's connected and that one must be powered up.
Title: Re: iPF6300 with USB or network?
Post by: KatManDEW on December 27, 2013, 02:25:39 pm
It doesn't sound like Ethernet is any faster, so I think I'm going with USB again.

Thanks for the feedback.
Title: Re: iPF6300 with USB or network?
Post by: hugowolf on December 27, 2013, 03:55:11 pm
It doesn't sound like Ethernet is any faster, so I think I'm going with USB again.

Ethernet is faster than USB2, and more flexible.

Brian A
Title: Re: iPF6300 with USB or network?
Post by: BarbaraArmstrong on December 30, 2013, 10:00:00 pm
If you suffer a power outage and don't know how to get your printer online again, the Canon tech assistance people will walk you through it on the phone.  It's easy, but I can never remember how to do it. --Barbara
Title: Re: iPF6300 with USB or network?
Post by: KatManDEW on December 30, 2013, 10:12:50 pm
I had enough headaches reinstalling Windows and everything, so I went with USB again.

Thanks for all the feedback.