Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: chasgroh on December 24, 2013, 12:37:52 pm

Title: D4 battery drain
Post by: chasgroh on December 24, 2013, 12:37:52 pm
...just wondering if anyone has experienced a huge battery drain in their D4 while it's just sitting there, but turned on.  I tote mine around in the car often and if I don't remember to turn it off between uses the battery discharges quickly!  In all other respects it behaves normally when I'm shooting (I shoot band shows during the winter and might get 6000 shots daily, so I know the characteristics of battery life fairly well).  I also own a D800 and had a D700, both of which could sit for long periods with no appreciable drain on the battery...maybe I have something turned on that I'm not aware of???

cg
Title: Re: D4 battery drain
Post by: eronald on December 24, 2013, 03:46:12 pm
...just wondering if anyone has experienced a huge battery drain in their D4 while it's just sitting there, but turned on.  I tote mine around in the car often and if I don't remember to turn it off between uses the battery discharges quickly!  In all other respects it behaves normally when I'm shooting (I shoot band shows during the winter and might get 6000 shots daily, so I know the characteristics of battery life fairly well).  I also own a D800 and had a D700, both of which could sit for long periods with no appreciable drain on the battery...maybe I have something turned on that I'm not aware of???

cg

I have seen no drain, when switched on, but battery life is simply not very good, and the necessity of a second charger is a complete joke.

Edmund
Title: Re: D4 battery drain
Post by: chasgroh on December 24, 2013, 04:46:30 pm
I have seen no drain, when switched on, but battery life is simply not very good, and the necessity of a second charger is a complete joke.

Edmund

...yeah, I hear ya.  I have, and use, 3 batteries on a typical shoot day.  But the fact still remains that my D4 is eating juice *really* fast just sitting there at idle!
Title: Re: D4 battery drain
Post by: eronald on December 24, 2013, 05:53:46 pm
...yeah, I hear ya.  I have, and use, 3 batteries on a typical shoot day.  But the fact still remains that my D4 is eating juice *really* fast just sitting there at idle!

Sounds like you need a repair.

My take on the D4 is that it is a could-do-better. Post-Fukushima.

Edmund
Title: Re: D4 battery drain
Post by: AreBee on December 25, 2013, 06:34:36 am
Charlie,

Have you checked that you have the latest firmware installed? I guess it's possible your issue has been addressed in a more recent version, if one exists.