Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 20, 2013, 08:52:46 pm

Title: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 20, 2013, 08:52:46 pm
Just heard on the news that the US economic recovery has been much stronger than expected in the third quarter. Naturally, such a good news is also a good reason for celebration, so I decided to throw a party and went to replenish my groceries. This is what I found instead: after 40 years of serving our local community, a venerable supermarket chain is closing the shop. Some recovery. More like Soviet supermarkets.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 20, 2013, 11:07:32 pm
Providing food for people to eat is low priority in this wonderful new world. Pushing more money to the .01% is where the action is.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 21, 2013, 04:42:50 am
Providing food for people to eat is low priority in this wonderful new world. Pushing more money to the .01% is where the action is.




Does Apple do an App for joining that 0.01%?

I'm sure my new Windows 8 has a similar one included, but as I hardly know how to start it, will take a while to get round to the exotica within!

However, the closed supermarket is obviously closed because it gave way to the smaller corner shops -  wonderful Christmas display of charitable thinking...

This blasted thing is still underlining everything in red wavey lines as I write in the little LuLa box.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 21, 2013, 03:23:12 pm
... This blasted thing is still underlining everything in red wavey lines as I write in the little LuLa box.

That sounds like you are misspelling every word you write? Since that is highly unlikely in your case, my next assumption would be that your comp thinks you are. One reason for that might be that you have selected Spanish as your primary language somewhere in the initial setup, yet typing English words now?
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 21, 2013, 05:01:36 pm
That sounds like you are misspelling every word you write? Since that is highly unlikely in your case, my next assumption would be that your comp thinks you are. One reason for that might be that you have selected Spanish as your primary language somewhere in the initial setup, yet typing English words now?


Okay, let's try again. Nope, using the old computer gives no red line problems so far, but let me try to type (Windows 8) and see what happens.

No good: on clicking in the Preview box, the message changes to showing the word Windows with a smiley alongside it, no sign of the figure eight nor of the close bracket.

I shall post this and try with the new machine. Unfortunately, that means I have to change the 'phone lead into it first.

Rob C

P.S. Trying this on the Windows 8; still brings red lines; let's try the bracket test: (Windows 8). It still comes up with the bloody smile!

P.P.S. Trying again with English added, as per Slobodan's idea. Oh shit, back to Spanish because I now lose all the normal functions of brackets, colons etc. SCREEEEEEAM!
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: KirbyKrieger on December 21, 2013, 05:17:27 pm
Just heard on the news that the US economic recovery has been much stronger than expected in the third quarter. Naturally, such a good news is also a good reason for celebration, so I decided to throw a party and went to replenish my groceries. This is what I found instead: after 40 years of serving our local community, a venerable supermarket chain is closing the shop. Some recovery. More like Soviet supermarkets.

J.o.b.s.

The "news" exists to present a falsity as a reflection.   The "US economy" is, in fact, doing OK.  The US people, otoh, are being processed and conveyored overboard like chum.  Now that corporations are people ("my friend (https://www.google.com/search?q=corporations+are+people,+my+friend)"), people are waste.

15 years ago I saw photos of everyday life "behind the scenes" in Soviet hospitals  Similar to your grocery store, but with decay and the clear cost of deprivation.  The US is catching up.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: RSL on December 21, 2013, 05:20:07 pm
No sweat, Kirby. The administration is working on it. Won't be long before what you're seeing now will look like the good old days.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 21, 2013, 05:21:14 pm
Not just your comp... everyone's will do the same when you type 8) However, if you type 8 ), that is, "eight-space-right bracket" it will show up as intended.

Can you post a screen shot of your red line problem?
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 21, 2013, 05:27:54 pm
... P.P.S. Trying again with English added, as per Slobodan's idea. Oh shit, back to Spanish because I now lose all the normal functions of brackets, colons etc. SCREEEEEEAM!

That would be a two-step change: 1. change language 2. change the keyboard to match the language

P.S. Electronic keyboard, not the hardware one
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 21, 2013, 05:35:03 pm
Not just your comp... everyone's will do the same when you type 8) However, if you type 8 ), that is, "eight-space-right bracket" it will show up as intended.

Can you post a screen shot of your red line problem?


That's news to me! Never come across it before.

The red line only comes up using Windows 8 and not here, on the old Vista I have just swapped the telephone line back to.

The only screen grabs I knew how to do were via this route:

1. click on subject;
2. click Imp. Pant. button (IMPrimir PANTalla - which means print screen);
3. open Photoshop;
4. File>New>OK>Edit>Paste>Crop
5. File>Save
6. conver to jpeg for E-mailing.

Never known the route without using Photoshop. I told you computers kill me. Perhaps now you might believe what I've written here before: were I even thinking of starting in photography today, I don't think the pixel path would have ever, ever grabbed my imagination, certainly never as career. I might just have turned to scribbling instead.

;-(

Rob C
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 21, 2013, 05:35:23 pm
... The "US economy" is, in fact, doing OK.  The US people, otoh, are being processed and conveyored overboard like chum.  Now that corporations are people ("my friend (https://www.google.com/search?q=corporations+are+people,+my+friend)"), people are waste...

Nicely put. Sad, though.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: wmchauncey on December 21, 2013, 06:45:26 pm
Quote
The US is catching up.
Oh so right...at the current rate of improvement, we're going to have more people without health care than at the end of the last administration.       :o
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 21, 2013, 07:52:16 pm

Okay, let's try again. Nope, using the old computer gives no red line problems so far, but let me try to type (Windows 8) and see what happens.

No good: on clicking in the Preview box, the message changes to showing the word Windows with a smiley alongside it, no sign of the figure eight nor of the close bracket.

I shall post this and try with the new machine. Unfortunately, that means I have to change the 'phone lead into it first.

Rob C

P.S. Trying this on the Windows 8; still brings red lines; let's try the bracket test: (Windows 8). It still comes up with the bloody smile!

P.P.S. Trying again with English added, as per Slobodan's idea. Oh shit, back to Spanish because I now lose all the normal functions of brackets, colons etc. SCREEEEEEAM!
Think of it this way, Rob. You have inadvertently unearthed Microsoft's True Name for their new operating system. You thought it was (Windows 8 ) when in reality it's name is (Windows   8) ). But actually, the name really should be (Windows  ??? ) or even (Windows  :'( ) or (Windows  >:( ).

Good luck with the new beast.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: KirbyKrieger on December 21, 2013, 08:03:40 pm
Oh so right...at the current rate of improvement, we're going to have more people without health care than at the end of the last administration.       :o

Cite?

Not sure if by "health care" you mean "health insurance" — they are, of course, different.

Here is an article and some data (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/18/us/percentage-of-americans-lacking-health-coverage-falls-again.html?_r=0) on number of Americans without health insurance.  The numbers continue to fall from the highs right around 2008.

(Added forgotten link.)
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: wmchauncey on December 22, 2013, 03:43:27 am
Quote
Not sure if by "health care" you mean "health insurance"
You're indeed correct sir...may bad.      :-[
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rocco Penny on December 22, 2013, 06:16:36 am
middle of the night here offers sometimes insight-
Rob,
it is the windows default settings that are underlining everything.
Call windows, send in a technical question,
they'll help sort it out online.
You'll soon be unlocking secrets that I wouldn't understand.
I opted for windows 7 because people were bemoaning 8 already by the first few weeks of launch, right when I purchased my latest machine.
Unless I'm mistaken, Microsoft may even let you downgrade to windows 7.
Maybe a thought before you invest too much time in something most of us will never have to learn.
I'm waiting for 10.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: bjanes on December 22, 2013, 07:04:03 am
Just heard on the news that the US economic recovery has been much stronger than expected in the third quarter. Naturally, such a good news is also a good reason for celebration, so I decided to throw a party and went to replenish my groceries. This is what I found instead: after 40 years of serving our local community, a venerable supermarket chain is closing the shop. Some recovery. More like Soviet supermarkets.

Slobodan,

I presume you are referring to the closure of Dominicks in Chicago. That closing has more to do with the store's business model than the economy. As explained here (http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/12/16/how-chicagos-grocery-store-business-changed.html), Dominicks was a middle of the road grocery that was being squeezed both from the low and high ends.

To get ready for her Christmas meal planning, my wife went to a nearby Mariano's (a higher end store) and was confronted with a mob scene. Her experience at Sunset Foods (another local high end store) was similar. The economy is doing well for these shoppers.

Perhaps President Obama is correct when he states that the rich are getting richer and the poor are losing ground. Is this phenomenon also affecting the photographic market?

Regards,

Bill
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 22, 2013, 08:19:11 am
That would be a two-step change: 1. change language 2. change the keyboard to match the language

P.S. Electronic keyboard, not the hardware one



Slobodan,

That's yet anther thing I didn't know anything about. This week, I seem to be in the season for such discoveries. I shall now try to find that and screw it up too. Maybe the best bet is to try and get shot of W8 altogether. It'll cost, but in the long run, if it saves my sanity a bit longer...

Any clues as to where I find electronic keyboards hidden?

Rob C
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: wmchauncey on December 22, 2013, 08:57:16 am
Quote
closure of Dominicks in Chicago
Aah Chicago...that paradigm of a fiscally properly run city which IMHO ranks right up there with the likes of Detroit.
I find it ironic that every city in those dire economic straits have been controlled by Democrats.        ;D
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 22, 2013, 12:27:26 pm
Aah Chicago...that paradigm of a fiscally properly run city which IMHO ranks right up there with the likes of Detroit.
I find it ironic that every city in those dire economic straits have been controlled by Democrats.        ;D


Don't know much about the differences in American political parties - other than one thinks it's related to an elephant - but isn't the fate of largely industrial cities and their hinterlands tied up more or less completely to the changes in industry and its needs? If nobody wants your cars anymore, does it matter who runs City Hall? Same thing happened in Scotland and the Clyde... torn to bits because shipbuilding went out of demand, regardless of the various spins the different politicos put on that basic and underlying fact which no city or country has the power to reverse. Unless it agrees to devalue its wage structure and everyone does it for free, of course.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: KirbyKrieger on December 22, 2013, 03:03:24 pm
I find it ironic that every city in those dire economic straits have been controlled by Democrats.        ;D

You must not look far for your irony vitamins.

Do you find it ironic that "Red States" are net teat-suckers and that "Blue States" are net milk providers?

Do you find it ironic that almost 70% of the current US debt was accumulated under Republican presidents?  (Presidents Reagan (13%), George H. W. Bush (11%), George W. Bush (43%), and 7% from all presidents before Reagan.)

Do you find it ironic that 9 of the 10 top states ranked by average income are "blue"?

Do you find it ironic that the only "red" state in the top 10 is Alaska, and is there only because of its socialist distribution of oil drilling taxes?

Do you find it ironic that 9 of the bottom 10 states ranked by average income are "red"?

We live in ironic times.  Why just the other day Republican politicians were arguing that the best way to reduce gun violence was to provide more people with more guns.

 ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 22, 2013, 03:43:11 pm
... Any clues as to where I find electronic keyboards hidden?

Rob,

I abandoned Windows years ago, as most sane people have done. Well, at least those who think that computers should serve them, not the other way around. The same with cars and cameras, by the way. Getting rid of Windows is like taking off shoes two size smaller after a long day standing on your feet. (Note to the outraged: this is a blatant trolling, however true it otherwise is, so do not bother responding with hate mail :)).

However, I kept a virtual machine for a few programs that only run on Windows. I am still on Windows XP, by the way, so what I am going to show you may or may not be easy to replicate in Windows 8, but it should give you an idea what I am talking about.

1. In Control Panel, locate "Regional and Language Options"
2. Press the "Languages" tab
3. Press "Details" button - it will display your current combination of language and keyboard
4. Press "Add" button
5. It will open "Add Input Language" - there you select the combination of language you want (I presume English UK) and appropriate keyboard (I presume UK)

Voilà!
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 22, 2013, 04:07:09 pm
Slobodan,

I presume you are referring to the closure of Dominicks in Chicago. That closing has more to do with the store's business model than the economy. As explained here (http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/12/16/how-chicagos-grocery-store-business-changed.html), Dominicks was a middle of the road grocery that was being squeezed both from the low and high ends...

Bill,

Indeed, I was talking about Dominick's. However, I would dispute the notion that it is their model, rather than the economy, that contributed to their demise. Their model worked just fine in our affluent middle-class suburb for 40 years, and almost 100 years elsewhere. Interesting you used the term "middle" above, as that is exactly the reason. However, they are crushed not because they were in the middle, but because their target market, the middle class, has been crushed in the meantime. And that is indeed, economy. Not in the sense of quarter-to-querter statistics, but in the broader sense of the seismic shifts and redistribution of wealth toward the 1%, 0.1% and 0.01%

In the last ten years, 90% of the population lost 10% of their income.

As you slice and dice the remaining 10%, into smaller and smaller chunks, it is clear that the income growth rises with geometric progression, so much so that the top 0.01% enjoyed a 76% growth.

And before our Republicon friends jump in blaming Mother Jones or Huffington Post for the leftist propaganda, note that the source for the attached chart is none other than the Wall Street Journal.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 22, 2013, 05:11:30 pm
Rob,

I abandoned Windows years ago, as most sane people have done. Well, at least those who think that computers should serve them, not the other way around. The same with cars and cameras, by the way. Getting rid of Windows is like taking off shoes two size smaller after a long day standing on your feet. (Note to the outraged: this is a blatant trolling, however true it otherwise is, so do not bother responding with hate mail :)).

However, I kept a virtual machine for a few programs that only run on Windows. I am still on Windows XP, by the way, so what I am going to show you may or may not be easy to replicate in Windows 8, but it should give you an idea what I am talking about.

1. In Control Panel, locate "Regional and Language Options"
2. Press the "Languages" tab
3. Press "Details" button - it will display your current combination of language and keyboard
4. Press "Add" button
5. It will open "Add Input Language" - there you select the combination of language you want (I presume English UK) and appropriate keyboard (I presume UK)

Voilà!


As ever, thanks for your help! However, the red lines still persist...

checking for colons : yes
checking for semi-colons; yes
checking for open brackets ( yes
checking for closing brackets ) yes
checking for exclamation ! yes

Seems to work okay, except for the red line ( a wavey one)

I had managed to arrive at the same situation yesterday, but it lost me the various symbols. Today, they are here.

I've managed to load in my Nikon Capture NX2 so far, but when I try to load the SanDisk card reader, the Sandisk CD doesn't show up on the screen at all, and when I try to download a NEF from the camera to the computer, the image goes into the Windows Pictures file as a NEF but won't open in Capture, and when I try, a notice comes up saying Capture has to close...

What a mess!

Rob C


P.S. I have managed to load my dictionary just now - can't manage without that!

That's the red line problem - just like Olde Berlinski must have looked.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 22, 2013, 05:19:50 pm
Bill,

Indeed, I was talking about Dominick's. However, I would dispute the notion that it is their model, rather than the economy, that contributed to their demise. Their model worked just fine in our affluent middle-class suburb for 40 years, and almost 100 years elsewhere. Interesting you used the term "middle" above, as that is exactly the reason. However, they are crushed not because they were in the middle, but because their target market, the middle class, has been crushed in the meantime. And that is indeed, economy. Not in the sense of quarter-to-querter statistics, but in the broader sense of the seismic shifts and redistribution of wealth toward the 1%, 0.1% and 0.01%

In the last ten years, 90% of the population lost 10% of their income.

As you slice and dice the remaining 10%, into smaller and smaller chunks, it is clear that the income growth rises with geometric progression, so much so that the top 0.01% enjoyed a 76% growth.

And before our Republicon friends jump in blaming Mother Jones or Huffington Post for the leftist propaganda, note that the source for the attached chart is none other than the Wall Street Journal.


What I think it comes down to, is that there is a limit to mechanisation, and we have passed that limit and crossed into a situation where not enough people are actually working at good enough incomes to make use of the increased mechanisation of production. We need fewer robots and more blue and white collars on the job.

It seems so obvious, but it gets missed. What can it profit a very, very few mega-rich if nothing around them works anymore? Surely, they didn't get to that rich way if they are blind to reality?

Rob C
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 22, 2013, 05:49:17 pm
... What can it profit a very, very few mega-rich if nothing around them works anymore?...

You are on the right track, Rob. That was the origin of the Great Depression in 1920s-30s. But before I elaborate, a little joke about the guy who was teaching his horse not to eat. Just when he thought he succeeded, the poor animal died. Pursuing profit increase through cost cutting (mostly labor), they succeeded back then so well, that... well, their horse (middle and working class) died as well.

The reach need both the poor (to provide cheap labor) and the middle class (as consumers). But you see, the rich are not that stupid either. They learned their lesson back in the 1920s. So, they are now very careful to nurture both the working class and to develop the middle class. Except, you see, nobody said it all has to be in the same country. So, the US rich are definitely helping the poor, the working class and the budding middle class. In China.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 22, 2013, 06:18:07 pm
... That's the red line problem...

Rob, that looks like "check spelling as you type" problem. As you can see, I can replicate it on my Mac as well. All I did is I specified in System Preferences that my spell checker should use Russian, for instance, as its basis. In which case, almost every word I type is thought by the spell checker as misspelled.

Try this web site for more on Win 8 and spell checking options:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13128-spell-checking-turn-off-windows-8-a.html
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: bjanes on December 22, 2013, 06:38:29 pm
Bill,

Indeed, I was talking about Dominick's. However, I would dispute the notion that it is their model, rather than the economy, that contributed to their demise. Their model worked just fine in our affluent middle-class suburb for 40 years, and almost 100 years elsewhere. Interesting you used the term "middle" above, as that is exactly the reason. However, they are crushed not because they were in the middle, but because their target market, the middle class, has been crushed in the meantime. And that is indeed, economy. Not in the sense of quarter-to-querter statistics, but in the broader sense of the seismic shifts and redistribution of wealth toward the 1%, 0.1% and 0.01%

In the last ten years, 90% of the population lost 10% of their income.

As you slice and dice the remaining 10%, into smaller and smaller chunks, it is clear that the income growth rises with geometric progression, so much so that the top 0.01% enjoyed a 76% growth.

And before our Republicon friends jump in blaming Mother Jones or Huffington Post for the leftist propaganda, note that the source for the attached chart is none other than the Wall Street Journal.

A headline story in today's Chicago Tribune gives additional information on the demise of Dominick's. A west coast hedge fund gained controlling interest in Dominick's and they stand to get a tax credit of $300M by letting Dominick's go under. Another mainstream grocer in Chicago is Jewel and they are doing well, which argues against the local economy having a dominant effect on Dominick's demise. Furthermore, Whole Foods and other upscale outlets need to capture more than the patronage of upper 1% families.

Regards,

Bill
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 22, 2013, 07:58:44 pm
Bill,

I think we continue to read the same facts a bit differently. I tend to go for a bigger picture. Others tend to obsess over technicalities and the immediate (and I do not mean you necessarily). It is true that the hedge fund had ulterior motives in shutting down Dominick's, but the reason they (i.e., activist investors) were able to do so is that Dominick's was not doing well in the Chicago market in the recent years. So, the real question is why. The continuing existence of Jewel is not the proof that "all is well in the state of... Illinois" either, and that somehow only Dominick's screwed up. For decades, the same market was able to sustain those two chains. It is the demise of the middle class that shrank the market to the point that only one can survive. Jewel had a stronger presence anyway and is also local, not subject to the whims of corporate headquarters from across the continent.

For years I had the two just across from each other in my neighborhood, and I always preferred Dominic's to Jewel for its cleanness, good lighting, specious and well-organized shelves, freshness of fruits and vegetables, lack of crowds and generally "upscale" atmosphere. Funny, but in my suburb (again, an affluent, middle-class one), Dominick's was for years perceived as the upscale choice (only recently we got the Whole Foods). And I was willing and happy to pay a premium for that experience. Me and many others. It is the demise of my own purchasing power, as well as the general demise of the middle class in my community, that sealed their fate. They were different (better, for me) than Jewel, they charged a premium, and I was willing to pay it. Until I couldn't.
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Rob C on December 23, 2013, 05:02:21 am
Rob, that looks like "check spelling as you type" problem. As you can see, I can replicate it on my Mac as well. All I did is I specified in System Preferences that my spell checker should use Russian, for instance, as its basis. In which case, almost every word I type is thought by the spell checker as misspelled.

Try this web site for more on Win 8 and spell checking options:

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/13128-spell-checking-turn-off-windows-8-a.html



Thanks for the link: I have now lost my red, wavey mist - at least when I'm writing!

Why do you know so many things?

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 23, 2013, 09:23:46 am
... Why do you know so many things?

Too much time on my hands? Or is it because "idle hands are..."?😉
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 23, 2013, 04:07:59 pm
Why do you know so many things?
Obviously he doesn't spend time doing photography. When he isn't answering question on LuLa he goes back to working at refining the post-processing of his very first digital image. He'll only post it when it's absolutely flawless.   ;)
Title: Re: The New Era of Prosperity
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 23, 2013, 04:26:54 pm
Ah, Eric, you know me too well!😄