Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: david distefano on December 19, 2013, 12:37:04 pm

Title: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: david distefano on December 19, 2013, 12:37:04 pm
with the rumors of a 54 mp nikon d4x and the death of medium format (ha ha), at what point do you reach in either dslr or medium format, the ability of the lens not being able to resolve fully for the large mp sensor. the new zeiss lens for dslr is said to resolve about 31 mp and these lenses are very expensive. has the race to the top in the mp race become a marketing game instead of really being a benefit to the photographer.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on December 19, 2013, 01:16:33 pm
If the lens is capable of 31 MP the sensor should have twice the linear resolution to match fully, to it would require a 31*(22)=124 MP sensor. With Bayer patterns in use maybe even more. Bart van der Wolf or any signal processing specialists should be able to explain this in better detail with this Nyquist thingy and such ...
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 19, 2013, 02:41:35 pm
Hi,

I don't know. I shoot both MF (P45+) and DSLR (Sony Alpha 99 and Alpha 77). The P45 has a resolution advantage over my Sony's, I am not sure it is visible in 30x40" prints. I am also quite sure that 135 format can go a bit further.

If you stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 the differences between lenses may go away. The comments on Otus here on LuLa are a bit split.

I absolutely think that the increases in resolution are beneficial, but he gains get smaller with increasing resolution. I have written an article that demonstrates it pretty well:
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles/78-aliasing-and-supersampling-why-small-pixels-are-good

Best regards
Erik

with the rumors of a 54 mp nikon d4x and the death of medium format (ha ha), at what point do you reach in either dslr or medium format, the ability of the lens not being able to resolve fully for the large mp sensor. the new zeiss lens for dslr is said to resolve about 31 mp and these lenses are very expensive. has the race to the top in the mp race become a marketing game instead of really being a benefit to the photographer.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Ken R on December 19, 2013, 03:37:46 pm
Unless you are after a different color response and look, great tethered workflow, different depth of field characteristics and/or want to work with different camera platforms with a variety of capabilities (tech cameras are awesome for landscape!) then the lower MP digital backs are not a really good choice. The 60MP and 80MP still rule though. They offer a significant resolution advantage over any DSLR or smaller format cameras. the 60/80mp sensors also have excellent dynamic range and color depth. With the older sensors like the P45+ you will give up some dynamic range and with the older backs even more so (from what I have seen online).

With Medium Format Digital there are just more camera and lens options. You can build a system to suit your needs. With the DSLR system, specially Nikon DSLRs (which have a lens mount that has a lot of limitations to adapt lenses to it) you are limited to what Nikon/Sigma/Zeiss/Rokinon/Tamron/Tokina have to offer. I am sure very few lenses will be up to the task (54.6 MP D4X) and those that are will be best at a very limited range of apertures (diffraction). Just like it's the case with the smaller formats.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: HarperPhotos on December 19, 2013, 03:47:02 pm
Hi Ken,

If you believe in what you just wrote then all well and good but for me my Nikon D800E and the twenty three lenses consisting of Nikon, Sigma and Rodenstock lenses I use with it all work beautifully.

Am looking forward to the Nikon D4x next year.

Cheers

Simon
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Petrus on December 19, 2013, 04:09:19 pm
Mid format still has an edge in absolute resolution (not in DR, though), but so called FF cameras are catching up fast. There is more money in FF size sensor business so more R&D money is spent there. The final question is if we are prepared to pay five times the money and and suffer considerable inconvenience  in handling, size and operation speed for 15% increase in linear resolution? Something like D4X with 10 frames/sec and fast autofocus with good ergonomics or clumsy, big mid format camera with manual focus, lousy battery life and 1 frame per second at 5X the price?
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: AreBee on December 19, 2013, 04:14:24 pm
Ken,

Quote from: Ken R
With Medium Format Digital there are just more camera and lens options. You can build a system to suit your needs. With the DSLR system, specially Nikon DSLRs (which have a lens mount that has a lot of limitations to adapt lenses to it) you are limited to what Nikon/Sigma/Zeiss/Rokinon/Tamron/Tokina have to offer. I am sure very few lenses will be up to the task (54.6 MP D4X) and those that are will be best at a very limited range of apertures (diffraction). Just like it's the case with the smaller formats.

Why would the range of apertures not adversely affected by diffraction for a 54.6MP D4x be any different to that from a 60MP IQ260? The latter may have larger pixels but the larger sensor requires the lens to be stopped down further for equal DOF. My understanding is that its effectively all the same but that if anything, the larger format will exhibit slightly greater diffraction than the smaller when DOF is equal. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Petrus on December 19, 2013, 04:33:15 pm
With Medium Format Digital there are just more camera and lens options.

Is there really? How many medium format digital cameras are there, and how many different lenses can be used? If we start to count all possible legacy lenses which could be attached to MFD cameras with adapters, certainly they all could also be attached to FF sensor cameras. And there are thousands of lenses which can be fitted (if we really wanted to) to FF cameras but not to MFD bodies. The only relevant thing is the number of combinations which produce best possible results. With FF there is progress (new Zeiss, Nikon, Sigma etc), MFD is stagnating as the demand is not there anymore.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Doug Peterson on December 19, 2013, 04:59:03 pm
MFD is stagnating as the demand is not there anymore.

Our sales have been up every year since the great recession.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Ken R on December 19, 2013, 05:04:06 pm
Ken,

Why would the range of apertures not adversely affected by diffraction for a 54.6MP D4x be any different to that from a 60MP IQ260? The latter may have larger pixels but the larger sensor requires the lens to be stopped down further for equal DOF. My understanding is that its effectively all the same but that if anything, the larger format will exhibit slightly greater diffraction than the smaller when DOF is equal. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

The pixel pitch of the 60mp PhaseOne (dalsa) sensor is similar to what you get in 20-24mp Full Frame DSLRs. Also, since I use the back primarily in an Arca Swiss RM3Di (tech camera) I use tilt to control what is in focus in the landscape situations I mostly use the camera in. I do not use the aperture for that. I usually leave it at f8 most of the time. I also use shift and rise/fall (individually or combined) to either stitch or compose the image as I wish while maintaining the camera level. I work it like a large format camera and works great. I can get perfect focus from the foot of the tripod to infinity if I wish without changing the aperture and in a single file/exposure.

A few folks with the D800/E use focus stacking to get that but that requires multiple images and extensive post production and in some instances, like when shooting the ocean/waves, it is not always a viable solution.

Also, edge to edge resolution is always tough to achieve in wide angles on the D800E and the Sony A7R, read THIS (https://www.lensrentals.com/blog) article written by Roger Cicala from LensRentals. Posted is a sample of his test results. You can see that corner resolution is not that great compared to the center (and that is with native mount lenses, the A7R with the adapter is even worse). With the Rodenstock HR lenses on the Arca I get awesome sharpness in the corners. The difference to what I got with the Nikon D800E I tested and the best Nikon and Zeiss glass at optimum apertures was staggering.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: HarperPhotos on December 19, 2013, 05:21:24 pm
Hey Doug,

As Fred would say prove it.

Cheers

Simon
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: bcooter on December 19, 2013, 05:29:45 pm
Simon,

I believe him.   The moneyed amatuer base will buy, regardless of pixel pitch, noise anything you would worry about, because they buy eqipment for the enjoyment.

A small dealer I know that did specialize in pro gear now sells 8o% to the advanced amateur and more 6 grand nikon lenses than you can count, but never to a professional.

When the d3x came out they we're sellig them by the dozens per week and not one to a pro.

So yea, between the pro market, the amateur market and the repro market, I would think phase sales are up and growing.

BC
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Ken R on December 19, 2013, 06:00:19 pm
Simon,

I believe him.   The moneyed amatuer base will buy, regardless of pixel pitch, noise anything you would worry about, because they buy eqipment for the enjoyment.

A small dealer I know that did specialize in pro gear now sells 8o% to the advanced amateur and more 6 grand nikon lenses than you can count, but never to a professional.

When the d3x came out they we're sellig them by the dozens per week and not one to a pro.

So yea, between the pro market, the amateur market and the repro market, I would think phase sales are up and growing.

BC

I also believe him.

I for one am a professional. I use Canon DSLRs for most of my paid work. A lot of times I need the speed, reliability, workflow and versatility of the full frame DSLR to work efficiently in a wide range of situations. Yesterday for example, I was working as a stills photographer alongside the camera unit of a commercial (advertising) spot production. They were using an Arri Alexa (native iso 800) and light levels were pretty low most of the time (thankfully they were using a zoom lens with a T2.9 max aperture) so I shot at iso 800 most of the day (at f2 or so). I needed to catch the best moments of the talent during their performance. At times I needed to use a sound blimp. No way medium format is practical in those situations. That is why I have different tools and pick and choose.

In the studio under controlled lights all bets are off really, one can use almost any camera that helps one to get the desired look and feel. It's all about style when shooting fashion and portraits and working with the subject and light. (That is Fred's specialty!) For some MFD is the choice in the studio. I really like the look of the Phase and the tethered workflow. Others might differ.

For landscape there is basically nothing better, for me, than working with an Arca tech camera and the IQ160. It is great to have tilt/swing available with any lens I mount and extensive shift/rise/fall capabilities. The image quality with wide angle lenses is unmatched.

Like a lot of things in photography it is all about preference.

Why pay for Profoto lights when you can get Alien Bees at a fraction of the cost? Great to always have alternatives.




Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: AreBee on December 19, 2013, 06:04:52 pm
Ken,

Thanks for clarifying - I did not appreciate that in your previous post you referred to tilt in order to achieve DOF, though to be fair, tilt/swing is not solely the province of Medium Format. I accept that the range of available movements is greater for a tech cam than a DSLR.

Quote from: Ken R
With the Rodenstock HR lenses on the Arca I get awesome sharpness in the corners. The difference to what I got with the Nikon D800E I tested and the best Nikon and Zeiss glass at optimum apertures was staggering.

I look forward to determining this myself in due course! :)

Cheers,
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Paul2660 on December 19, 2013, 06:17:21 pm
As a user of both, I am curious to how the D4x if it does reach 54MP will resolve with current Nikon lenses?  There is enough trouble with the D800 family getting corner to corner sharpness with wides, plus much past F11 you are seeing pretty considerable diffraction softness.  Nikon I guess will come out with some new lenses also? 

As a Nikon user, I would much much prefer to see a mirror less solution like the Sony, even 24MP would work for me.  Something that would take current Nikon lenses but allow both VR and AF. 

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: synn on December 19, 2013, 07:37:36 pm
Too many people talk about resolution and resolving power of the lenses and all that, but too little people care about lens rendition, tonality etc. these days.
All the Nikkors I have are definitely in the upper realm in terms of resolving power, but in terms of rendition, there's only one that I really like and that's the 85 f/1.8G.

In contrast (Pun unintended) my Bronica 150 f/4 is probably miles behind in terms on numbers on a paper or graphs, but the way it renders is absolutely glorious.

No idea what the MTF charts or whatever of this lens is like, but this+ some Velvia 100 is magic to me:

(https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/1008890_10151558228034209_1646817198_o.jpg)


Did this pixel peeping deal for a while. It gets real old real fast.

Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 19, 2013, 08:34:16 pm
Hi,

I would agree with Ken.

What I see on my DSLR lenses that centers are very good but corners are weak. I have mostly zooms on the DSLRs but I am pretty sure that corners are a bit weak on many lenses.

The MF lenses I have are in part tricky, with not really flat field, but it often comes out pretty well in the corners. Ken uses HR lenses made for digital and those are very good.

What I would add is that I think that there are benefits of high resolution even if the lenses would not keep up.

- MTF multiplies, you get better resolution with a high res sensor even if the lens is not so good
- A high resolution avoids/reduces aliasing, so it is always good
- Even lenses that are not so great are often quite good at the center at medium apertures, if your focus in that area you gain a lot with sensor resolution

Best regards
Erik


The pixel pitch of the 60mp PhaseOne (dalsa) sensor is similar to what you get in 20-24mp Full Frame DSLRs. Also, since I use the back primarily in an Arca Swiss RM3Di (tech camera) I use tilt to control what is in focus in the landscape situations I mostly use the camera in. I do not use the aperture for that. I usually leave it at f8 most of the time. I also use shift and rise/fall (individually or combined) to either stitch or compose the image as I wish while maintaining the camera level. I work it like a large format camera and works great. I can get perfect focus from the foot of the tripod to infinity if I wish without changing the aperture and in a single file/exposure.

A few folks with the D800/E use focus stacking to get that but that requires multiple images and extensive post production and in some instances, like when shooting the ocean/waves, it is not always a viable solution.

Also, edge to edge resolution is always tough to achieve in wide angles on the D800E and the Sony A7R, read THIS (https://www.lensrentals.com/blog) article written by Roger Cicala from LensRentals. Posted is a sample of his test results. You can see that corner resolution is not that great compared to the center (and that is with native mount lenses, the A7R with the adapter is even worse). With the Rodenstock HR lenses on the Arca I get awesome sharpness in the corners. The difference to what I got with the Nikon D800E I tested and the best Nikon and Zeiss glass at optimum apertures was staggering.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: eronald on December 19, 2013, 08:59:13 pm
Our sales have been up every year since the great recession.

I walked into a gallery today, in Paris, they were offering about 15 paintings by Peter Breughel the elder and Jan Breughel the younger. There is plenty of money in the "rich" parts of the economy.

I saw the walkins at an MF dealer in Paris this week. Buying MF kit is as hard for them as a pair of shoes for most of us. And the dealer gives very short shrift to anyone who knows what a camera is.

Edmund
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Paul2660 on December 19, 2013, 09:01:15 pm
Not sure I would want to spend the money on a 54mp sensor only to crop it back to 36 due to only being able to use the center of the image. 
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: eronald on December 19, 2013, 09:34:31 pm
Not sure I would want to spend the money on a 54mp sensor only to crop it back to 36 due to only being able to use the center of the image. 

Your average 35mm prime costs as much as an MF lenscap :)
If you put expensive glass on 35mm cameras you suddenly get much better pix.

Edmund
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: SecondFocus on December 19, 2013, 11:15:54 pm
Did I read somewhat recently that Leica is selling S systems as fast as they can build them?
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Rainforestman on December 26, 2013, 07:30:08 pm
I own both a D800E and an IQ260.

Diffraction and lenses are the limiting factor on DSLR's.  According to Lloyd Chambers testing with the D800E, diffraction starts at f8 and is well and truly underway at f11.  Then.add the fact that the glass hasn't kept up with the demands of the high resolution sensors.  Even some of the best Nikon glass is quite frankly disappointing in the corners compared to the Schneider Kreuznach lenses.

I can happily shoot the IQ260 at f11.  I don't need to crop because my corners are comparatively sharp.

That is why I have gone medium format.  The D800E is a very good camera but it is not in the same league as the IQ260.  Even if a 54 Megapixel sensor were to be released in DSLR, the system will struggle to match medium format in terms of diffraction.  Not to mention all the other advantages of medium format.


Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 27, 2013, 04:40:19 am
Hi,

I would say that there is a lot of potential for development on the 24x36 front. What I see is that we are having a new generation of high performing lenses from Sigma and Zeiss, like the Sigma Art-series and the new Zeiss Otus and 135/2 APO Sonnar. These lenses are sharp corner to corner, mostly. Many of today's lenses are very good over a large part of the field, but have weak corners. The Zeiss 25/2 is an example of that (according to the data I have seen).

The D4X is a rumor, we have not yet seen. It may be or it may be not. Sony seems to have a new generation full frame chip in development, it has shutter for each pixel, non bayer design and at 54 MP, but it is 1-2 years from market introduction.

On the other hand, Sony is also said to cooperate with Hasselblad on an MFD chip. Hasselblad seems to have a lot of good technology, but perhaps not the best sensors, so working with Sony may be a good option. I would also say that small pixels (like sub 4 micron) would be nice for MFD. Better detail reproduction and reduced aliasing.

Best regards
Erik


with the rumors of a 54 mp nikon d4x and the death of medium format (ha ha), at what point do you reach in either dslr or medium format, the ability of the lens not being able to resolve fully for the large mp sensor. the new zeiss lens for dslr is said to resolve about 31 mp and these lenses are very expensive. has the race to the top in the mp race become a marketing game instead of really being a benefit to the photographer.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: torger on December 27, 2013, 05:03:45 am
I'm afraid that small pixels will murder tech cam lens designs, for each new MFDB sensor generation the color cast has become worse and the manufacturers don't seem to care as they rather want users to use their SLR systems instead. The IQ260 was fortunately a break of this trend though.

I'm quite pessimistic. What probably will happen is that we'll see new sensors with smaller pixels and worse color cast, and therefore tech cam lenses is forced to become more and more similar to ordinary retrofocus lenses as required by 24x36mm CMOS sensors, tech cams will become more and more similar to an ordinary mirrorless (like Alpa FPS) and we come to a point when there's no longer any meaningful difference.

I think tech cam makers, Arca-Swiss, Alpa, Cambo, Sinar, Linhof should form a joint company and make their own backs and steer the development in a direction better for them. Maybe Leica can revitalize Sinar's line of backs and make it more than a tethered studio product.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: torger on December 27, 2013, 05:17:27 am
Diffraction is a zero-sum game. With smaller formats you get diffraction earlier, but you don't need to stop down as much either as you can use shorter focal length and thus get more depth of field with larger apertures for the equivalent field of view. To get the same depth of field as with f/8 on your D800E you need to stop down to f/11-f/13 on your IQ260.

What I think can prove to be a problem with smaller formats in terms of resolution is the increased requirement on precision in optics. I think it's too early to say if the 135 is too small to be able to reach resolving power currently seen in medium format due to precision issues in manufacturing, time will tell.

Another issue is that wide angles need to be strong retrofocus due to the strong color casts of the current CMOS sensors, and those retrofocus lenses need to be extremely complicated heavy and costly designs (see Rodenstock 32mm tech cam lens, it would be even worse than that) to resolve well over the whole frame, and while it may be technically possible to make, the market for a 2 kg $6000 wide angle lens would be too small for the manufacturers to care making one, when you can make something almost but not quite as good for a third of the price. However, the new Zeiss Otus lens is not exactly cheap or light, so maybe I'm wrong and we'll actually see wides that have these extreme designs.

Medium format did not before require strong retrofocus and wide aperture lenses, that's why we can find exceptional performance in tech cam lenses with relatively simple and inexpensive designs. This segment is about to die though, as MFDB makers don't seem to prioritize low color cast, and retrofocus lenses are more user-friendly in terms of live view (less vignetting and larger focusing aperture).

I own both a D800E and an IQ260.

Diffraction and lenses are the limiting factor on DSLR's.  According to Lloyd Chambers testing with the D800E, diffraction starts at f8 and is well and truly underway at f11.  Then.add the fact that the glass hasn't kept up with the demands of the high resolution sensors.  Even some of the best Nikon glass is quite frankly disappointing in the corners compared to the Schneider Kreuznach lenses.

I can happily shoot the IQ260 at f11.  I don't need to crop because my corners are comparatively sharp.

That is why I have gone medium format.  The D800E is a very good camera but it is not in the same league as the IQ260.  Even if a 54 Megapixel sensor were to be released in DSLR, the system will struggle to match medium format in terms of diffraction.  Not to mention all the other advantages of medium format.



Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 27, 2013, 11:59:09 am
Hi,

I was not really considering technical cameras, my mistake. On the other hand I really feel that small pixels have benefits. My main interest is using Hasselblad lenses or perhaps Pentax 67 lenses and all those wide angles are retrofokus designs, so I have a bias.

Best regards
Erik


I'm afraid that small pixels will murder tech cam lens designs, for each new MFDB sensor generation the color cast has become worse and the manufacturers don't seem to care as they rather want users to use their SLR systems instead. The IQ260 was fortunately a break of this trend though.

I'm quite pessimistic. What probably will happen is that we'll see new sensors with smaller pixels and worse color cast, and therefore tech cam lenses is forced to become more and more similar to ordinary retrofocus lenses as required by 24x36mm CMOS sensors, tech cams will become more and more similar to an ordinary mirrorless (like Alpa FPS) and we come to a point when there's no longer any meaningful difference.

I think tech cam makers, Arca-Swiss, Alpa, Cambo, Sinar, Linhof should form a joint company and make their own backs and steer the development in a direction better for them. Maybe Leica can revitalize Sinar's line of backs and make it more than a tethered studio product.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 27, 2013, 04:58:58 pm
Hi,

I don't really think manufacturing precision is the problem. The lens for the Nokia 41MP cell phone is a quite impressive and seems to work very well on those very small pixels. The Zeiss Otus does impress, but so does the Sigma 35/1.4 A lens, albeit the latter one seems to have problems with sample variation.

Another point may be that larger formats make less demands on the lenses. A simple lens like a double gauss design can do really well at say 40 lp/mm but if you need to got to 60, 80 or even 120 lp/mm more complex designs are needed. There is probably some kind of optimum regarding sensor size, but cost will always be a factor finding that optimum.

Best regards
Erik

Diffraction is a zero-sum game. With smaller formats you get diffraction earlier, but you don't need to stop down as much either as you can use shorter focal length and thus get more depth of field with larger apertures for the equivalent field of view. To get the same depth of field as with f/8 on your D800E you need to stop down to f/11-f/13 on your IQ260.

What I think can prove to be a problem with smaller formats in terms of resolution is the increased requirement on precision in optics. I think it's too early to say if the 135 is too small to be able to reach resolving power currently seen in medium format due to precision issues in manufacturing, time will tell.

Another issue is that wide angles need to be strong retrofocus due to the strong color casts of the current CMOS sensors, and those retrofocus lenses need to be extremely complicated heavy and costly designs (see Rodenstock 32mm tech cam lens, it would be even worse than that) to resolve well over the whole frame, and while it may be technically possible to make, the market for a 2 kg $6000 wide angle lens would be too small for the manufacturers to care making one, when you can make something almost but not quite as good for a third of the price. However, the new Zeiss Otus lens is not exactly cheap or light, so maybe I'm wrong and we'll actually see wides that have these extreme designs.

Medium format did not before require strong retrofocus and wide aperture lenses, that's why we can find exceptional performance in tech cam lenses with relatively simple and inexpensive designs. This segment is about to die though, as MFDB makers don't seem to prioritize low color cast, and retrofocus lenses are more user-friendly in terms of live view (less vignetting and larger focusing aperture).

Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: torger on December 28, 2013, 07:32:25 am
Large sensor size is indeed unpractical in terms of cost, but the major part of the extreme high cost in the MFDB market is not due to the sensor, but due to the business model. There's no interest/ability to sell on volume, and there's still enough business users happy to pay. Also for full-frame DSLRs the sensor cost is a problem, but cameras are sold in a way where the sensor is allowed to make up more than half of the manufacturing cost, rather than a fraction like for some of the MFDBs.

The development in the coming 4-5 years will be most interesting to see.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: spotmeter on December 28, 2013, 10:00:04 am
I just purchased a CFV-50 back for my 'old' 501CM and the files blow away what I get with my Nikon D800E with top grade Zeiss glass and very careful technique.

Plus, I am rediscovering the joy of looking down the chimney finder and seeing my image on a huge, glorious 6cm square focus screen.

In addition, my newer Hasselblad lenses can resolve 8 point type at 20' from center to corner. None of my 35mm lenses are this good.

Because you don't use the corners of the Hasselblad lenses with the CFV-50, you get the best part of each lens.

Highly recommend this route for medium format digital.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 29, 2013, 11:14:37 am
Hi,

I have gone a similar route, except I bought a P45+ plus a Hasselblad, the main reason was that Hasselblad V lenses are available at a very low price. I am quite satisfied with my lenses, even if I see some weaknesses. I feel that most lenses work best at f/8 - f/11, so that is what I use. What I also see is that I use my 120/4 a lot. It didn't do well in my initial testing, but does fine in real world. The Sonnar 150/4 is my best lens, but I consider replacing it with a 180/4, as I have 80, 120 and 150 right now.

I have not tested the 250/5.6, yet. Regarding chromatic aberration, LR 5 takes well care of lateral chromatic aberration on all lenses except the 40/4 Distagon. The 150/4 has some longitudional chroma, I would say that my Sony Alpha 70-400/4-5,6 is better in that sense, no color fringing at all.

I am quite happy with the Hasselblad 555ELD / P45+ combo, but the main advantage over my Sony cameras I see is sharpness/resolution.

Best regards
Erik


I just purchased a CFV-50 back for my 'old' 501CM and the files blow away what I get with my Nikon D800E with top grade Zeiss glass and very careful technique.

Plus, I am rediscovering the joy of looking down the chimney finder and seeing my image on a huge, glorious 6cm square focus screen.

In addition, my newer Hasselblad lenses can resolve 8 point type at 20' from center to corner. None of my 35mm lenses are this good.

Because you don't use the corners of the Hasselblad lenses with the CFV-50, you get the best part of each lens.

Highly recommend this route for medium format digital.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: david distefano on December 29, 2013, 03:39:47 pm
if nikon comes out with a d4x and 54 mp sensor and the photographer uses the new zeiss otus lenses, with an 85mm f1.4 lens coming in 2014 to go with the 55mm f1.4 otus, is the image quality of the d800/e now stepping on the toes of medium format digital up to about a 30 to 40mp. even though the new zeiss lenses are expensive, a refurbished phase one p45+ bundle is around $16,000 which gets you back, body and one lens. for that price you could get the new hypothetical d4x at 54mp (questamated price going around the web $8-9,000)  plus 2 of these new lenses for about the same price, and the price of new mfdb, plus equipment would set you back a few years mortgage. i think hasselblad, before they made the stupid decision to discontinue the v line, had almost the right idea on pricing for the cfv-39 and cfv-50, for the serious amateur.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Chris Livsey on December 29, 2013, 04:18:05 pm
Hasselblad have discontinued the camera V range but I do not recall any statement that they would not in the future produce digital backs for them. They would be foolish not to tap into that market but then again that is not beyond the realm of possibility!
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: synn on December 29, 2013, 04:21:57 pm
if nikon comes out with a d4x and 54 mp sensor and the photographer uses the new zeiss otus lenses, with an 85mm f1.4 lens coming in 2014 to go with the 55mm f1.4 otus, is the image quality of the d800/e now stepping on the toes of medium format digital up to about a 30 to 40mp. even though the new zeiss lenses are expensive, a refurbished phase one p45+ bundle is around $16,000 which gets you back, body and one lens. for that price you could get the new hypothetical d4x at 54mp (questamated price going around the web $8-9,000)  plus 2 of these new lenses for about the same price, and the price of new mfdb, plus equipment would set you back a few years mortgage. i think hasselblad, before they made the stupid decision to discontinue the v line, had almost the right idea on pricing for the cfv-39 and cfv-50, for the serious amateur.

Would be nice to see all the analysis paralysis people keeping the said 54MP camera at f/4 regardless of content to avoid diffraction.  ;D

To me, the only way that 35mm can match up and exceed MFDB is if foveon-like full color sensors become prevalent. A year and a half ago, when I got my D800, I was one of those people who thought "Oh here's some real competition to MFDB". All I can say is, people who make these comparisons just haven't experienced MFDB.


While the Otus might be a pretty nice piece of kit, it is useless for a lot of photographers. A manual focus lens limits its use for me as a location based portrait photographer. The D800 viewfinder is nowhere as bright as the old film Nikons for MF and the live view is pretty terrible to obtain critical focus too. Also, the 55mm focal length is rather silly. The 85 is more interesting, yes. But unless and until Zeiss hugs and kisses Canon and Nikon to get access to their AF algorithms, color me disinterested.

I stirred up the hornet's nest in the other thread, so here's some more fuel. ;)

On the D800 is the 85 f/1.8 G, while not an Otus, is a very sharp lens in its own right. 80mm LS on the Credo.


Fair warning. Images were shot months apart, in both cases, casually out of my window. Take it for what it is, if you will.

Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: AreBee on December 29, 2013, 04:29:29 pm
Synn,

Quote
Fair warning. Images were shot months apart...

I really, really hope that the building in the background was painted in the intervening time...or something is very, very wrong with one of those files.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: synn on December 29, 2013, 04:32:49 pm
I'll bite. What is this "Very, very wrongness" that you speak of?
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 29, 2013, 04:39:07 pm
Hi,

One is with a long lens with focus on the foreground leaves the other with a shorter lens with pretty much everything in focus. You could as well process the Nikon image in C1, as C1 one has a more aggressive sharpening. Or you could try amount=45, radius=0.7 detail=100 in LR, that works fine for me.

Best regards
Erik


I'll bite. What is this "Very, very wrongness" that you speak of?
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: synn on December 29, 2013, 04:46:30 pm
Hi,

One is with a long lens with focus on the foreground leaves the other with a shorter lens with pretty much everything in focus. You could as well process the Nikon image in C1, as C1 one has a more aggressive sharpening. Or you could try amount=45, radius=0.7 detail=100 in LR, that works fine for me.

Best regards
Erik



Dear Erik,

That is a very small crop from a very big scene. Both cameras were set to f/8 from what I can remember with pretty much everything in focus. Both lenses are within 5mm of each other, if you read my post carefully again.
I can sharpen the file even more in LR or process in C1 for sure, but it's not going to magically bring back detail that wasn't captured in the first place.


The simple point is, can a DSLR file be made to look like or come close to an MFDB file? Sure you can. I've been doing that for a while now. But it takes time and a lot of jumping through the hoops.
An MFDB file on the other hand looks "Right" pretty much 10 seconds after import.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: david distefano on December 29, 2013, 05:27:10 pm
i use to own the cfv-16, shot many times with the cfv-39 and large format film up to 8x20. imho an 8x20 contact print or any other contact print from an ultra large film format system is the tops. now there is a special look.  the reason for the questions was, for many people like myself who enjoy photography for itself and not a business, the prices for mfdb's are way too expensive new and the value loss after purchase is worse than cars. i like to purchase new. there is something that i find special when i open new photographic equipment. also i am not talking about 50 or 60 or 80mp backs for the professional or the wealthy. af is not important to me because i use the hasselblad digital backs as well as roll film holders and sheet film on an arca swiss camera. with live view on dslr's for static objects it makes focusing that much easier for these old eyes. So yes i "know" the medium format look.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 29, 2013, 05:52:46 pm
Hi,

I have never used larger format on film than 6x7 (cm), but it is my understanding that film can give excellent results if properly scanned.

Regarding the MF look I cannot really say. My normal print size is A2 (16x23), I seldom print smaller and printing larger means sending to a lab. Recently I made 70x100 cm print from 24MP full frame and a 60x80 cm print from 39 MP MF. The MF was sharper, no question. The 24 MP print was about what I got from a 67 Velvia scanned on CCD film scanner at 3200PPI (I happen to have a similar print of the same subject in same light taken 10 years ago on Velvia).

I bought my P45+ for about 10k$ (as I recall), you can buy a Pentax 645D for the same price. Hasselblad also has some interesting cameras at affordable prices now and than.

Best regards
Erik




i use to own the cfv-16, shot many times with the cfv-39 and large format film up to 8x20. imho an 8x20 contact print or any other contact print from an ultra large film format system is the tops. now there is a special look.  the reason for the questions was, for many people like myself who enjoy photography for itself and not a business, the prices for mfdb's are way too expensive new and the value loss after purchase is worse than cars. i like to purchase new. there is something that i find special when i open new photographic equipment. also i am not talking about 50 or 60 or 80mp backs for the professional or the wealthy. af is not important to me because i use the hasselblad digital backs as well as roll film holders and sheet film on an arca swiss camera. with live view on dslr's for static objects it makes focusing that much easier for these old eyes. So yes i "know" the medium format look.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: AreBee on December 30, 2013, 06:09:58 am
Synn,

Quote
I'll bite.

For the avoidance of doubt my previous post in no way was an attempt by me to 'set you up'. :)

Quote
What is this "Very, very wrongness" that you speak of?

Only that while photographers can and do argue until the cows come home about the difference in colour between MF and 35mm camera files, there is no question that a significant difference in colour of the background building wall exists. Matching, say, the colour of foliage in the two files will not alter that fact.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: synn on December 30, 2013, 06:33:22 am
I have no idea, TBH. Could be the time of the day, could be the rendering, could be that they repainted it.

The D800 image was shot in july or something. The Credo image was shot 2 days ago.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Paul2660 on December 30, 2013, 07:41:50 am
A lot of the difference in color may be due to the fact that it appears the sun was out on the D800 shot and the large building hit with a bit of mixed lighting.  The credo shot has more even lighting with maybe a overcast sky. 

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 30, 2013, 11:36:55 am
Well, here is a sample of mine.

Both images shot same day under same conditions. Tried to match width of the images. The samples have WB set to the same sample and sharpening is same.

The posted sample show a large part of the image and actual pixel crops. There is also an image that has been upsized using bicubic in CS5 to P45+ width.

Both images has been converted in Lightroom.

Hasselblad 555ELD/Distagon 50/4/P45+ on the left Sony, Alpha SAL 24-75/2.8 ZA at 35 mm on the right. Both at f/8.

Processing was the same but using a home cooked "DCP" profile for the P45+. While using AdobeStandard on the Sony Alpha 99.

It is seldom I shoot the same subject with both P45+ and Sony. Light conditions often differ.


Best regards
Erik

Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Rob C on December 30, 2013, 12:01:58 pm
I suppose it's an end-of-year irony: Fred Greissing had to go, but his pet theme continues unbroken...

Rob C
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 30, 2013, 05:38:54 pm
Here is a another set of comparable pictures. The images are processed, but most setting are identical between the two (exposure and WB differ). I could have made the two images more similar, but it was not my itention. In this case I guess the Sony image is a bit more contrasty. I use a home made DCP profile for the P45+.

Three enclosures:

A crop showing the image full height and two crops showing detail. One of the crops actual pixels the other with the Sony Alpha 99 image uprezzed to match vertical resolution of the P45+.

Both this sample and the previous one is with the Distagon 50/4 on the P45+ and with 24-70/2.8 ZA on the Sony Alpha 99.

I don't feel the images are a world apart, but opinions may differ.

Raw files are here: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourney/RawImages/MFDB_VS_DSLR2/

Best regards
Erik

Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: synn on December 30, 2013, 05:57:27 pm
Ban 'em all!

well, if people showed more participation in the image sharing threads and not just the measurebating ones, there would be a lot more to talk about.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: EricWHiss on December 30, 2013, 08:22:47 pm
well, if people showed more participation in the image sharing threads and not just the measurebating ones, there would be a lot more to talk about.

I'd share more myself if it weren't for the aforementioned…   
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: synn on December 30, 2013, 08:28:20 pm
I'd share more myself if it weren't for the aforementioned…   


Do share more, Eric. From the little I have seen of your work, you really do take some lovely images.
The "Hands" image a I saw a while ago is a killer. I hope you made a large print of it coz it just begs to get printed!
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: EricWHiss on December 31, 2013, 12:26:09 am
Thanks Synn!
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: Gigi on December 31, 2013, 08:59:52 am
Having seen Eric's prints up close, you are right: they are exquisite. He's a very meticulous shooter and printer.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: EricWHiss on January 02, 2014, 11:46:52 am
Thanks Geoff!
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 02, 2014, 01:21:04 pm
Hi Eric,

Do you have some link pointing to your images? Little chance I see them in real life unless you exhibit in Idaho next year, unfortunately.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Geoff!

Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: torger on January 05, 2014, 05:01:16 am
Many are interested in the technology of photography and comparing etc, including myself. I have both professional and personal interest in that. I don't think it's nice that those of you uninterested in these subjects jump into "our" threads and post insults. Seems pointless to me.

There's already quite good participation in image sharing threads, I agree that there's not much discussion about the images though. I think you should post in the "User Critques" forum if you want discussion about the images. Few share images to have them criticized publically though, and that's fine by me.

well, if people showed more participation in the image sharing threads and not just the measurebating ones, there would be a lot more to talk about.
Title: Re: medium format vs. dslr lens sensor resolution
Post by: jerome_m on January 05, 2014, 08:25:18 am
I think that a pointer to this thread (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=83294.0) is in order here:

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3713/10388618894_7bd71ea49d_b.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerome_munich/10388618894/)

Clic here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerome_munich/10388618894/sizes/o/in/photostream/) to see the full resolution (on flickr).

Basically, it is difficult to find 35mm lenses which can resolve the full frame corner to corner (especially in wide angles) while MF lenses are much better at doing so. Guess what: they are also slower, much bigger and heavier and more expensive.