Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on December 17, 2013, 10:10:32 am

Title: Angel Island beyond Tiburon
Post by: David Eckels on December 17, 2013, 10:10:32 am
Color or b/w? Or not at all?
Title: Re: Angel Island beyond Tiburon
Post by: Bruce Cox on December 17, 2013, 10:17:02 am
I vote for B&W.
Title: Re: Angel Island beyond Tiburon
Post by: bdosserman on December 17, 2013, 10:48:13 am
I vote for B&W.

Me too. And I really like the way the different layers come together.

Brian
Title: Re: Angel Island beyond Tiburon
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 17, 2013, 10:53:31 am
Warm B&W  :)
Title: Re: Angel Island beyond Tiburon
Post by: Rob C on December 17, 2013, 10:54:19 am
Color or b/w? Or not at all?


Colour, this one, because I think it's more interesting that way.

B/W is a funny thing: sometimes it makes an image but at others, it leaves it flat. I suppose the simple truth of the matter is that it really depends what drew one to the shot in the first place. I believe that subtle colours can work very well, where often, that's not so in B/W where a good bit of 'kick' often makes things sing out loud. Generally, I think silhouettes, for example, work better in B/W but no doubt there's a million instances where cosmetics ads prove otherwise. It all comes down to the specific instance, kid brother to the decisive moment. Only in photography.

I remember trying desperately hard on one occasion to get a girl in front of the blue haze that film used sometimes to rewards one with on distant mountains (mostly folks want to filter it out) and shooting with a 200mm on Nikon, I eventually did make the shot. In B/W it would simply have looked flat grey - no real suggestion of spatial distance at all.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Angel Island beyond Tiburon
Post by: RSL on December 17, 2013, 11:01:54 am
I love mountain haze pictures. I'll vote for color in this case, even though this past summer I shot a series of mountain B&W's that'll go into a show here in Florida in March. The sun highlights in the nearer trees are what complete the composition, and they end up almost lost in the B&W.