Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: keith_cooper on December 16, 2013, 05:46:43 pm

Title: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: keith_cooper on December 16, 2013, 05:46:43 pm
I'd seen some very varied comments about the Samyang (aka rokinon and a host of other names) 14/2.8 lens.

The UK distributors kindly lent me one to try, and I have to say that I was impressed by what you get for ~£300, although some hefty software correction helps if you're photographing interiors or buildings.

Anyway, I've some notes and samples, if anyone's curious ;-)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/lenses/samyang14.html

Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: NancyP on December 16, 2013, 07:46:17 pm
I am a big fan of this lens for landscape and astro-landscape photos - more fun per dollar than any other lens I have. The Berndt correction profile is fine.
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: Paul2660 on December 16, 2013, 08:29:38 pm
Just not filter friendly.  Excellent optical value.  Bit of coma wide open on night work. 
Same in Bower Rokinon or Samyang.  All three the same.

Paul Caldwell
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: robdickinson on December 16, 2013, 08:32:00 pm
I agree with all that ^^ Great lens an a bargain.
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: cottagehunter on December 16, 2013, 10:11:26 pm
Thanks for the review Keith. I have a Sony a99 and plan to purchase this lense before our European trip next April. Would like to link off your site but I am in Canada and the dealer handling the 14mm is Henrys, no link to them.

Pierre
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: NancyP on December 17, 2013, 12:54:01 pm
Commercial filter set-ups are available but are expensive: Fotodiox and Lucroit both accommodate this lens. The filters themselves are 150 or 165mm, so, quite expensive.
You can make your own filter set-up if you are handy and have tools and are willing to risk a slip of the hand wrecking the lens. There's a webpage detailing how to saw off (shorten) the lens hood , craft a holder, attach and light-seal the holder to the lens. Great if you have a 3D printer.
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: Peter McLennan on December 17, 2013, 06:15:30 pm
Thanks for the review Keith. I have a Sony a99 and plan to purchase this lense before our European trip next April. Would like to link off your site but I am in Canada and the dealer handling the 14mm is Henrys, no link to them.

Pierre

I'm in Canada and I bought mine from Amazon.  Took nearly a month to get here, though. 

It's definitely a fun lens to use.  It has excellent resolving power and good flare resistance.  The main difficulty I'm having is understanding its focus field.  It's anything but flat, especially when focused close.
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: Rhossydd on December 22, 2013, 04:15:49 am
From the review "There is no confirmation from the camera AF system, and you need to manually set your shutter speed and ISO - welcome to 'real photography' as some might like to call it ;-)"
Or you can stick it on A and shoot with auto exposure.

"I have heard it said that you can glue an AF confirm chip to the mount, but this wasn't my lens to modify..."
Correct and it works well.
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: Ken R on December 22, 2013, 05:56:29 pm
I'd seen some very varied comments about the Samyang (aka rokinon and a host of other names) 14/2.8 lens.

The UK distributors kindly lent me one to try, and I have to say that I was impressed by what you get for ~£300, although some hefty software correction helps if you're photographing interiors or buildings.

Anyway, I've some notes and samples, if anyone's curious ;-)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/lenses/samyang14.html



Nice review thanks for posting.

The lens is a good value. It obviously has some nasty distortion so when corrected you loose quite a bit of angle of view. Also vignetting is heavy so one actually looses usable dynamic range near the corners since the corrections have to lighten that area a lot. Sharpness seems very good but again, a LOT of pixel stretching going on to correct distortions so you loose effective resolution there too. I guess it is good for the price. The alternatives are MUCH better but also MUCH more expensive.

I have the Canon 14mm f2.8L II and it is superb. I think it out resolves all canon full frame DSLRs.
Title: Re: Samyang 14mm - not so bad ;-)
Post by: robdickinson on December 22, 2013, 07:39:51 pm
You dont always have to correct the distortion though and the vignetting is only when shot wide open.

Not a perfect lens but then which lens is?