Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on December 14, 2013, 11:44:07 am

Title: Contemplation
Post by: RSL on December 14, 2013, 11:44:07 am
.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: wmchauncey on December 14, 2013, 01:35:16 pm
That's an example of an image that needed several exposures, blended together, to make it work.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: RSL on December 14, 2013, 02:01:31 pm
No kidding. Please explain what "exposures" you'd have shot and "blended" for this picture.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 14, 2013, 02:04:02 pm
That's an example of an image that needed several exposures, blended together, to make it work.

What on earth for?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 14, 2013, 07:11:08 pm
What on earth for?

Jeremy
Agree. It's fine as is.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 15, 2013, 12:19:57 am
Great light and composition.  I'm a sucker for backlit vegetation.

Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: stamper on December 15, 2013, 05:38:09 am
That's an example of an image that needed several exposures, blended together, to make it work.

I don't think this is Russ's finest image but the comment is a low blow. How can you take several exposures without the person moving and spoiling any chance of a blend?  :-\
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on December 15, 2013, 08:49:15 am
I don't think this is Russ's finest image but the comment is a low blow. How can you take several exposures without the person moving and spoiling any chance of a blend?  :-\

Which person?
Its a statue.
;)
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: brandtb on December 15, 2013, 09:37:11 am
Aside from some nominally interesting rim/backlight...there is the view of the face shot a little to far rearward (?) and almost all in shade, and the really bright indeterminate "blue thing" jumping out - not such an interesting compostion.  The frame is a "catch-all "of things...and is the sum of the parts successful? I don't think so.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: stamper on December 15, 2013, 10:18:47 am
Which person?
Its a statue.
;)

My apologies I thought it was a person. However the need for blending isn't obvious?
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: degrub on December 15, 2013, 12:43:22 pm
To me, it is the highlighting of the edge of the face that is the final destination for my eye. The rest is interesting framing and sets the mood of a hidden glance.... Street.

Frank
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: davidh202 on December 15, 2013, 09:03:29 pm
The blue flag and specular highlights steal the interest from what would otherwise be an interesting profile of the  bust.
 I cloned the trees into the right upper corner and turned the image to B&W since color does absolutely nothing for it.
adjusting the channel sliders to darken the background some, and some judicious dodging on the bust, and some bottom cropping, make him and the rim lighting on the face, the focal point once again. ;-) I'll post my version if OK.

David
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: stamper on December 16, 2013, 04:35:13 am
Then it will be a completely different image from what Russ envisaged and posted?  :-X
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: RSL on December 16, 2013, 12:05:24 pm
Feel free, David. It's always interesting to see how people torture pictures.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: AFairley on December 16, 2013, 01:02:14 pm
I think the black shadows are what make it work, open up the shadows and you have "meh."  I would clone out the white/blue in the upper right, I don' think it adds anything but rather is just a distraction from the main focus.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: RSL on December 16, 2013, 01:53:33 pm
You're probably right, Alan. When I first looked at it I thought I'd get rid of the flag, but then I thought: "what the hey?" I guess if I were going to make a print I'd clone it out.
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: davidh202 on December 17, 2013, 09:44:40 pm
This is what I saw in your scene Russ...
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: cjogo on December 17, 2013, 11:23:30 pm
This is what I saw in your scene Russ...

Like this one --- eye right to the statue ...
Title: Re: Contemplation
Post by: RSL on December 18, 2013, 07:52:05 am
This is what I saw in your scene Russ...

Thanks, David. It's pretty funny. I appreciate subtle humor, but this may be a bit too subtle. Someone might actually think you're serious.