Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: RSL on December 14, 2013, 09:41:54 am
-
Hi all, Back again from a couple day's shooting in St. Augustine.
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic
This may help somewhat...you've done well at learning the technical aspects of photography and PP, as have I, but more is now needed.
-
And after 60 years of photographic experience I'm supposed to learn something from Scott Kelby, the perpetual five-year-old? Come on, get serious. I hope you were kidding.
-
I didn't say that I liked him...this one video had some valid points for helping me with my composition.
-
Composition is a very subjective thing, Chauncy, and shooting pictures of great blues and egrets isn't usually something that helps improve your eye. If you really want some instruction on composition, and we're talking landscape instead of people, stop looking at photographers -- especially Kelby -- and start learning from the great painters. When did Kelby, the technician, become an authority on composition?
-
Kinkade?
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic
This may help somewhat...you've done well at learning the technical aspects of photography and PP, as have I, but more is now needed.
Boooooooo! ;)
-
Kinkade?
Not unless you're in the lightbulb business. Oh, and you'll notice I used the word "great," Slobodan.
-
There is a lot to to be learned by seeing like a child....
Peter
-
Russ,
Pay no heed. I know that you have most likely forgotten more about photography than most of us have ever learned.
But this one doesn't really do it for me. There is nothing wrong with the shot but it lacks a twist.
Ed
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpHMuK7Htic
This may help somewhat...you've done well at learning the technical aspects of photography and PP, as have I, but more is now needed.
And the prize for the bravest comment on LULA this year goes to...!
-
And after 60 years of photographic experience I'm supposed to learn something from Scott Kelby, the perpetual five-year-old? Come on, get serious. I hope you were kidding.
The prize for showing the greatest restraint on LULA this year goes to...! ;D
-
Jokes aside - I do not know much about Scott Kelby, but, I enjoyed the video. He does touch on some very useful ideas and put into words what I have not heard elsewhere. Thanks for the the link!
William
-
IMO Kelby is a business man selling photography.....but not a photographer. ::)
-
Composition is a very subjective thing, Chauncy, and shooting pictures of great blues and egrets isn't usually something that helps improve your eye
I would be the first in line to admit to that failing in my own work.
He does touch on some very useful ideas and put into words what I have not heard elsewhere
Appreciate your taking the time to watch it.
Kelby/Kincade are/have been much maligned in the artistic community but...show me others that have been as financially successful in that community.
-
artistic/financially successful.
This is a photographic site for the appreciation of the artistic side of photography not the financial side? It is possible that the two can be combined. Some good photographers never - or rarely - make money and some poor photographers make a pile. Kelby has probably made a lot but is he a good photographer/photoshop guru then that is a matter of opinion?
-
I think Kelby's books are excellent for a beginner, Stamper, if the beginner can stand his "I'm five and I'm cute and I'm gonna entertain the visitors by standing on my head" style. He doesn't go into theory, so it's just: "You want this? Then do this!" But for more advanced information you have to go to somebody like Martin Evening, and, in certain areas, Jeff Schewe. Kelby is a fine technician, but if you look at his photographs you realize he's a long way from a fine photographer. Trying to learn composition from Kelby is a waste of time.
-
Kinkade?
Sometimes I'm not as swift as I'd like to be, Slobodan. Now that I get it I realize the thing IS embarrassingly close to a Kinkade effect. That's because it's Christmas season at the St. George Inn in St. Augustine. We were staying in the room directly above the deck from which I made this shot. I looked out one of our dormer windows after dark and realized I had to have a shot of Christmas at the St. George. Ah yes, Kinkade. Mea culpa.
-
Russ you are correct in your summing up of Kelby and your recommendations about the other authors. I would add that Kelby is like a recipe chef who tells you the ingredients but not how to "mix" them. As to his humour the least said the better I have two books by him. Pages with little information padded out with his "humour". Not my favourite author. :(
-
... Ah yes, Kinkade. Mea culpa.
Ha! I also just now realized the initial confusion! Indeed, my post was meant as a comment on the atmosphere of the image, and not in a negative way. Although I am not a fan of Kinkade, there is a certain attraction to the type of scenes he portrayed, just like to Norman Rockwell's idealized portrayal of the American Dream scenes (which I like much, much better - his portrayal, not the dream nightmare).
-
Ha! I also just now realized the initial confusion! Indeed, my post was meant as a comment on the atmosphere of the image, and not in a negative way. Although I am not a fan of Kinkade, there is a certain attraction to the type of scenes he portrayed, just like to Norman Rockwell's idealized portrayal of the American Dream scenes (which I like much, much better - his portrayal, not the dream nightmare).
Why the 'nightmare? What's wrong with the white picket fence if you can get it? Or is that the implication: you usually can't get it?
I'm puzzled. (Nuttin' noo!)
Rob C.
-
Why the 'nightmare? What's wrong with the white picket fence if you can get it? Or is that the implication: you usually can't get it?...
You can, usually. On credit (mortgage). Then the housing market tanks, leaving you with a house worth only ⅔ of the loan you still owe to the bank in full. Then your job is gone and is not coming back. Stock market crash took care of your savings too. The only thing that thrives is peddling crap to the ever-shrinking pool of the gullible (though the gullible pool never shrinks, just their purchasing power). If that is not your thing (i.e., peddling crap), you are screwed.
-
You can, usually. On credit (mortgage). Then the housing market tanks, leaving you with a house worth only ⅔ of the loan you still owe to the bank in full. Then your job is gone and is not coming back. Stock market crash took care of your savings too. The only thing that thrives is peddling crap to the ever-shrinking pool of the gullible (though the gullible pool never shrinks, just their purchasing power). If that is not your thing (i.e., peddling crap), you are screwed.
I never thought Chi was so similar to Spain. That 2/3rds bit is really funny: it exactly represents the difference in value asking price of similar properties to mine since 2008; they still can't sell. Thank fuck there was no mortgage.
Savings. We had enough. Then banks stopped interest as a concept. Then she died. Then I learned one doesn't live for half the cost of two. Then electricity went through the roof. Then winter comes and there's no insulation in hollow-brick buildings. Then the wood burner splits its door and you can't get it replaced and you can't burn it because if the glass falls out the fire will roar and sparks will ignite the carpets as you sleep, and you become a viking without a boat.
So the American Dream is, in essence, the Mediterranean Dream too. And yeah, you know it ain't coming back any time soon. Not for you nor probably your kids. It all sucks in the end. That's the name of the tune: it was right there all along, hidden in the music of all the jukeboxes that ever were. We just didn't want to listen right.
Rob C
-
You can, usually. On credit (mortgage). Then the housing market tanks, leaving you with a house worth only ⅔ of the loan you still owe to the bank in full. Then your job is gone and is not coming back. Stock market crash took care of your savings too. The only thing that thrives is peddling crap to the ever-shrinking pool of the gullible (though the gullible pool never shrinks, just their purchasing power). If that is not your thing (i.e., peddling crap), you are screwed.
Chisel that one in stone, Slobodan.