Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: michswiss on December 10, 2013, 07:53:37 am

Title: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: michswiss on December 10, 2013, 07:53:37 am
1) A portrait of a Cat

(http://www.michswiss.com/Work-in-progress/Work-in-Progress-2013/i-NKNk956/0/XL/DSC_2428-XL.jpg)

2) Lancaster

(http://www.michswiss.com/Work-in-progress/Work-in-Progress-2013/i-8fv27HM/0/XL/DSC02503-XL.jpg)

3) Moomba

(http://www.michswiss.com/Work-in-progress/Work-in-Progress-2013/i-4FxBk7b/0/XL/DSC_2763-XL.jpg)

4) Legs

(http://www.michswiss.com/Work-in-progress/Work-in-Progress-2013/i-fTNmk7P/0/XL/DSC_2671-XL.jpg)
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Tony Jay on December 10, 2013, 08:30:13 am
All interesting images but the cat is spectacular!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 10, 2013, 09:16:51 am
# 2 for me.  Woof woof!  Legs is also good. 
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 10, 2013, 09:19:00 am
The cat and dogs pleased me greatly.
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 10, 2013, 09:20:04 am
Sorry, but they don't work (at least according to the thread title), because they please me!
My faves this round are Lancaster and Moomba.

Nice to have you posting again!
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Rob C on December 10, 2013, 09:28:53 am
IMO, the cat's dreadful and pointless; the others don't say anything much either and only prove you were where you were; the legs are magical.

That's a pretty good score, again IMO.

Keep being magical; reportage is coming out of everyone's ears by now and only has any meaning if to illustrate some article or to prop up an agenda of one kind or another... those days died long ago. On the other hand, dreams are forever.

Rob C
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: RSL on December 10, 2013, 09:29:20 am
First high-key black cat I've ever seen, but I like it.

#2 and #3 both have enough ambiguity to make them qualify as serious street. The action in #2 reminds me of some of HCB'S later work. Very nice.

#4 is the sort of strained attempt at "abstract" art I see way too often in mags like B&W. This kind of thing can work in painting. Never seems to work very well in photography.

In any case, welcome back, Jennifer. We missed you. Every once in a while I checked what you were doing over on Documentary. I think you went through a slump, but with the first three shots here I'd say you're back in the game big time. Bravo!
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on December 10, 2013, 09:48:25 am
I liked them all except that I was unable to appreciate the legs.  I will look at it again later.
I am commenting, however, because I choked on my coffee when I saw the image
of the yellow-skinned Caucasian in Asia.  Witty!

Regards,
Dale
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Rob C on December 10, 2013, 10:08:43 am
First high-key black cat I've ever seen, but I like it.

#2 and #3 both have enough ambiguity to make them qualify as serious street. The action in #2 reminds me of some of HCB'S later work. Very nice.

#4 is the sort of strained attempt at "abstract" art I see way too often in mags like B&W. This kind of thing can work in painting. Never seems to work very well in photography.
In any case, welcome back, Jennifer. We missed you. Every once in a while I checked what you were doing over on Documentary. I think you went through a slump, but with the first three shots here I'd say you're back in the game big time. Bravo!



Never did Ernst Haas's career any harm...

Rob C
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: RSL on December 10, 2013, 10:15:19 am
Golly, I always figured Ernst had dropped his camera and bent the lens mount.
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 10, 2013, 10:20:19 am
I keep coming back to #2, Lancaster.  Russ is right: very HCB.  I just love it.  Bravo.
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: WalterEG on December 10, 2013, 12:42:43 pm
I have to admit the legs image is the pick of the crop for me.  I suspect we have all done similar but this example is fine to my senses.

W
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 10, 2013, 01:11:25 pm
Golly, I always figured Ernst had dropped his camera and bent the lens mount.

My first laugh this morning, Russ! Thanks for that. In spite of the fact that EH is one of my favorite, if not the favorite, photographers.
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 10, 2013, 01:14:31 pm
The first two for me. The last two not so much.

I would not hesitate though to clone out that protruding thingy intersecting with the girls head in #2.
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on December 10, 2013, 01:23:26 pm
Hi Jennifer it's good to see you posting again. I'm very fond of "legs" by the way.
Title: Re: Something to please no one (4 images)
Post by: michswiss on December 14, 2013, 08:07:01 am
I'm glad that most of you like something from this grouping.  They are all from this year and have their own importance to me.  Not the better or best that I've done as I've shot very little in 2013.  But a few examples of the better shots for the calendar year.  I hope you all are able to have a wonderful holiday and new years break.

That said, I'm not back yet.