Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Digital Cameras & Shooting Techniques => Topic started by: MartinSpence on December 09, 2013, 01:26:49 pm

Title: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: MartinSpence on December 09, 2013, 01:26:49 pm
Tried out this technique a few weeks ago when I was visiting St Mary's Lighthouse.

I simply put a Big Stopper filter on to expose long enough so the tourists vanished.

(http://www.martinspencephotography.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/St-Mary-Lighthouse-3.jpg)

If you want to see other photos from the experience they are here:

http://www.martinspencephotography.co.uk/st-marys-lighthouse-neutral-density-filter/

Are there any other techniques to use to remove tourists in an easy way?

Thanks
M
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Vladimirovich on December 09, 2013, 01:32:40 pm
Are there any other techniques to use to remove tourists in an easy way?
you can remove such moving objects using multiple shots and stacking in PS, for example from Adobe's help = http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WS1E389632-4B37-425e-8EAB-1384C0B432D3a.html
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Justinr on December 09, 2013, 03:52:26 pm
We have this wet stuff that falls out of the clouds, doesn't help much with the photography though.
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: BJL on December 09, 2013, 04:14:13 pm
Nice example. There is also a wonderful photograph of the Golden Gate bridge in daylight with no cars in sight, using an exposure of several minutes in LF.

However, I admit that my first thought was "tear gas".
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Ellis Vener on December 09, 2013, 09:05:38 pm
"However, I admit that my first thought was "tear gas".

and it adds just wonderful atmospherics too!
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: langier on December 10, 2013, 10:43:38 am
20 years ago, an spray of lead with an Uzi came to mind for crowd control but that doesn't fly today;-)

(This was the stict I used for a talk I presented on digital photography 20 years ago to landscape photographers frustrated with having people to contend with at popular locations.)

A different time, season, long exposure and stacking work much better and are much friendlier to the crowds besides.
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Rob C on December 10, 2013, 04:54:18 pm
Nice example. There is also a wonderful photograph of the Golden Gate bridge in daylight with no cars in sight, using an exposure of several minutes in LF.

However, I admit that my first thought was "tear gas".


I think children's chemistry sets included the makings of hydrogen sulphide.

Rob C
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: David Eckels on December 10, 2013, 06:32:43 pm
However, I admit that my first thought was "tear gas".
I just fart loudly.
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: eronald on December 14, 2013, 02:45:19 pm

I think children's chemistry sets included the makings of hydrogen sulphide.

Rob C

children on school tour vacation are very fond of dropping stink bombs :)

Edmund
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Rob C on December 14, 2013, 04:35:10 pm
children on school tour vacation are very fond of dropping stink bombs :)

Edmund


OMG! Then you'd get a crowd of stinkers rather than just one.

Yet another very valid reason for staying well away from them, as well as from all guided tour zones.

Rob C
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: NancyP on December 20, 2013, 04:27:44 pm
Post a sign "  40" HIGH DEFINITION TVS ON SALE FOR $99.99 TO THE FIRST 100 BUYERS - (location 5 miles away) "
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Glenn NK on December 21, 2013, 05:56:43 pm
"However, I admit that my first thought was "tear gas".

and it adds just wonderful atmospherics too!

When I first read the OP, my thought was "shoot them".

Seems that I'm not alone.  Then it occurred to me that I was a tourist too. ;D

Glenn
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Jim Pascoe on December 23, 2013, 05:31:07 am
Shoot in moonlight - removes the need for an ND filter too.

See - a sensible suggestion at last! ;D

Jim
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: Justinr on December 23, 2013, 04:35:36 pm
Shoot in moonlight - removes the need for an ND filter too.

See - a sensible suggestion at last! ;D

Jim

You'll get banned for doing that this close to Christmas!  :D
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: OldRoy on December 25, 2013, 06:06:14 am
A few years ago I recall trying a stacking program named "Amenabar" (after a Spanish film director I believe) which was said to automatically assemble multiple locked-off shots eliminating any non-common elements. It didn't work at all (for me, at least) however this would seem to be a very useful little utility if someone came up with a stand-alone application: free or cheap would be nice.

But what am I doing posting this stuff on Xmas day?
Roy
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: esox on March 06, 2014, 06:04:33 am
I just fart loudly.

This is what I call poetry. ;D

Silent ones could be more effective...
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: LKaven on March 06, 2014, 02:40:48 pm
A few years ago I recall trying a stacking program named "Amenabar" (after a Spanish film director I believe) which was said to automatically assemble multiple locked-off shots eliminating any non-common elements. It didn't work at all (for me, at least) however this would seem to be a very useful little utility if someone came up with a stand-alone application: free or cheap would be nice.

And here's the link!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=13139
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: barnack on April 06, 2014, 10:58:32 pm
That's an interesting technique for getting people out of your landscape shots - thanks for sharing it.  Nice images on your site, too.
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: StoneNYC on April 07, 2014, 12:30:56 am
I really like the idea behind this technique...

Usually as mk setting up I smile and wave at people, then when I'm ready to click I just say "hey guys!" Wait till they look "would everybody mind ducking for just 3 seconds???

Mostly people just listen when you have some weird contraption pointed at them and tell them to duck...
Title: Re: How to remove people from tourist locations?
Post by: StoneNYC on April 07, 2014, 12:32:24 am
you can remove such moving objects using multiple shots and stacking in PS, for example from Adobe's help = http://help.adobe.com/en_US/photoshop/cs/using/WS1E389632-4B37-425e-8EAB-1384C0B432D3a.html

This only works if you're using a computer but if you're wet printing, the enlarger doesn't have PS :)