Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Ed Blagden on December 09, 2013, 06:50:27 am

Title: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 09, 2013, 06:50:27 am
Hi

I have done almost all my work in colour up to now, apart from portraits, but I am now starting to look at B&W.  I'm a bit of a novice at conversions but have worked on a few of my images and I am putting them up here to see what you guys think.  I attach some representatives below (a couple of which have already been posted here in colour), and if you want to see a few more then I have put a set of 10 on my flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed-blagden/sets/72157638506772126/).

Thanks,



Ed

Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on December 09, 2013, 01:02:16 pm
Nice !
Good to see you risked to abandon the color, though the color version were beautiful as well.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 09, 2013, 02:48:25 pm
Nice !
Good to see you risked to abandon the color, though the color version were beautiful as well.
I agree.
These conversions all look quite satisfying to me. The monkey portrait is especially fine in BW.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: francois on December 10, 2013, 03:37:53 am
The monkey is superb but I also like the first image very much. It has that timeless mood that 's so fond of and I don't miss colors there.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Tony Jay on December 10, 2013, 03:52:12 am
The monkey is superb but I also like the first image very much. It has that timeless mood that 's so fond of and I don't miss colors there.
The monkey is superb and the first image is also a winner!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 10, 2013, 09:00:06 am
The monkey is superb but I also like the first image very much. It has that timeless mood that 's so fond of and I don't miss colors there.

Thanks to you all.  I also like the first one, it is part of a set of 4 (you can see the other 3 in my Flickr set here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ed-blagden/sets/72157638506772126/)).  I posted the colour versions on this forum (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=83379.msg673590#msg673590) a while back.  Lots of fun playing with the colour channel sliders to bring out the masai blankets.

Here are some more I have worked on today.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: RSL on December 10, 2013, 09:45:07 am
Hi Ed, I've been coming back to these again and again. Here's my conclusion: I loved the color version of #1, and I think the B&W version is very good. My only down would be the lack of graduated mid-tones in the figures and the foreground. I think if it were mine I'd drop a gradient, or a well feathered selection in the lower half of the picture and play with the contrast. The tones in the hills are fine, and they'd take care of themselves during that process, but the tonal transitions in the foreground seem too abrupt to me (emphasis on "to me.")

The monkey is superb, and we've already talked about the tree. It's a different picture in B&W, but I think it's as good as the color version.

Love the elephant. The kid's adorable. With the bird on the right the whole thing becomes sort of a street shot in the veldt.

The additional four are just as good. Love the jumping kid.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 10, 2013, 10:31:36 am
Hi Ed, I've been coming back to these again and again. Here's my conclusion: I loved the color version of #1, and I think the B&W version is very good. My only down would be the lack of graduated mid-tones in the figures and the foreground. I think if it were mine I'd drop a gradient, or a well feathered selection in the lower half of the picture and play with the contrast. The tones in the hills are fine, and they'd take care of themselves during that process, but the tonal transitions in the foreground seem too abrupt to me (emphasis on "to me.")

The monkey is superb, and we've already talked about the tree. It's a different picture in B&W, but I think it's as good as the color version.

Love the elephant. The kid's adorable. With the bird on the right the whole thing becomes sort of a street shot in the veldt.

The additional four are just as good. Love the jumping kid.

Thanks Russ.

As I said, I am still a bit of a novice in BW processing and I have noticed that you can go a bit crazy with the contrast controls in the Basic panel in LR and get away with it most of the time.  But I think you may be right about the first image (the Masai guys getting ready to dance for the tourists) and I will have a go at toning it down. 

Glad you like the elephant and calf.  I am very fond of that one.  When you say it is a street shot in the veldt you have got it just right.  This is exactly how I approach photographing animals, especially elephants.  With elephants, they are almost human and if you wait a while and pay attention something special is bound to happen.  It is a kind of f8 and be there with these creatures.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 11, 2013, 05:29:59 am
Hi Ed, I've been coming back to these again and again. Here's my conclusion: I loved the color version of #1, and I think the B&W version is very good. My only down would be the lack of graduated mid-tones in the figures and the foreground. I think if it were mine I'd drop a gradient, or a well feathered selection in the lower half of the picture and play with the contrast. The tones in the hills are fine, and they'd take care of themselves during that process, but the tonal transitions in the foreground seem too abrupt to me (emphasis on "to me.")

Hi Russ,

I took your advice - does this look better to your eyes?

Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: RSL on December 11, 2013, 06:25:59 am
Well, to me it does because I see mid-tones that weren't there before. But that's just one opinion. It would be nice to hear from some other viewers.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: wmchauncey on December 11, 2013, 08:57:00 am
Ditto...last version is way better.      ;)
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Rob C on December 11, 2013, 11:50:24 am

Love the elephant. The kid's adorable. With the bird on the right the whole thing becomes sort of a street shot in the veldt.




This is true, a very good image.

During our 'experience' in Kenya, the guy driving the truck out of Kitchwa Tembo (spelling?) wouldn't let the model and myself off the vehicle for safety reasons. As a result, the shoot was seriously compromised. The only time we had any luck was in the compound at Buffalo Lodge, a flight away.

The shoot was seriously compromised anyway: the client - a new guy running the shoot - lost his senses and insisted on his local town's models (why?) instead of the usual best out of London. He lost his mind, and for me it was my last shoot with the client. Clients are never mistaken, don't you know. I get sick of carrying other people's cans. Pun intended, and if you know the client, makes perfect literal sense.

Rob C
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 11, 2013, 01:24:23 pm
Ditto...last version is way better.      ;)

Agreed. I like the subtle toning, too.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: cjogo on December 11, 2013, 05:22:01 pm
Wonderful images ~!  Superbly caught --
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Todd Suttles on December 11, 2013, 06:25:52 pm
Thanks Ed. Beautiful.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 12, 2013, 12:55:55 am
Wonderful images ~!  Superbly caught --

Thanks - I particularly appreciate that coming from an "old school" Black and White film guy.  I never learned it, but I really get the craft that used to be needed to make such images.

I won't post any more images on this thread but will put up a Flickr link when I am done with this particular series.  This is the first time I have tried to do a mass conversion of a series of photos into B&W and I'm enjoying the learning process and the results.  In the past when I made B&W photos I was thinking B&W right from capture, mainly portraits and the odd abstract.  This is the first time I have taken a series of shots intended for colour rendition and taken them over to B&W without having prior vision of what the result would be like. 

As a confirmed autodidact I thought I would share some of the things I am learning as I go along:


Anyway, that's my take on B&W post processing so far.  As you can tell I'm enjoying the journey.


Regards



Ed


ps A note of thanks to Jeremy (Kikashi).  He made a comment on some other thread (not mine) about a B&W picture of a Leopard, along the lines of why bother to render such a beautifully coloured animal in B&W.  And so I thought to myself why not, lets have a go and see what happens.
Title: Re: Amboseli in B&W
Post by: Todd Suttles on December 12, 2013, 10:57:56 am
Thnx for sharing