Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: degrub on December 08, 2013, 02:08:58 pm

Title: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: degrub on December 08, 2013, 02:08:58 pm
 :(
Second topic

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: WalterEG on December 08, 2013, 02:15:15 pm
Grief is the order of the day as I awoke to learn of the passing of David Vestal.  One of the very small handful of capable photographers who could actually write.

Ave atque vale,

Walter

[I had made a post at the same time as degrub on the passing of David Vestal but deleted it and included the text here.]
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: RSL on December 08, 2013, 03:19:01 pm
I'm mourning with you, Walter. He understood what really mattered in photography and he could write about it in a way that was uniquely appealing.
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 08, 2013, 06:27:28 pm
He could be curmudgeonly, but he was always insightful and honest. I'll miss him, too.
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: langier on December 08, 2013, 08:11:11 pm
David's The Craft of Photography was my photo college textbook. It took all the mumbo-jumbo out of the zone system and testing of materials and made the craft much more easy to understand and create. His magazine articles were based upon his practical experience and cut through a lot of b.s.

Last year, I had the privilege to finally meet him at the last Al Weber Rendezvous in California. His presentation shared his decades of photography. He was a pleasure to have with us and everyone enjoyed his company.

"Grump" will be missed!
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: brianrybolt on December 11, 2013, 06:52:10 am
I just looked on my bookshelf and there it was, a 1st edition of The Craft of Photography.  Takes me back to my days studying at San Francisco State College (now it's: San Francisco State University) with Don Worth, Jack Welpott, and the totally underrated John Gutmann.
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on December 12, 2013, 05:08:54 pm
There's a second article on TOP concerning David Vestal, same URL:  http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: Telecaster on December 12, 2013, 10:34:17 pm
There's a second article on TOP concerning David Vestal, same URL:  http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

I encourage everyone to read the article by Jim Hughes (linked to just above). It's a gem!

-Dave-
Title: Re: David Vestal 1924-2013
Post by: langier on December 13, 2013, 02:04:18 pm
That article is a nice tribute!