Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on December 06, 2013, 11:53:13 pm
-
Shop Keeper Riga '89
-
You could, with justification, title this shot Aurora.
;-)
I like this sort of image; reminds me of those guys working in Paris a long time ago.
Rob C
-
Nice shot indeed. Very nice.
-
I only had a 80mm lens and a waist level -- Couldn't bring too much into the Country at that time ...
-
Pleasing pix!
-
That's a very fine shot and great timing. Nice tones too. No need to explain what lens you had at the time. It's what you got - not how you got it!
-
That's a very fine shot and great timing. Nice tones too. No need to explain what lens you had at the time. It's what you got - not how you got it!
Just in case some suggested > I should had zoomed :-)
-
Very nice shot, tones and all.
The kind of stuff that makes me want to shoot b/w.
-
Very nice shot, tones and all.
The kind of stuff that makes me want to shoot b/w.
You can do it two ways now...
Rob C
-
You can do it two ways now...
Rob C
Still only one way to shoot B&W Rob,
With B&W film loaded in a camera.
The other is an emulation with all but the Leica M which would give the same mindset as film for the shooting part.
Cheers,
W
-
When I grab a camera to go and shoot art ( rarely) I first :: totally drain all color from my screen. Mostly never turn my screen around to view anyways ..didn't have a "instant image" on my Hassy ~ so don't seem to need it in the field , these days either ..:=-)
-
Still only one way to shoot B&W Rob,
With B&W film loaded in a camera.
The other is an emulation with all but the Leica M which would give the same mindset as film for the shooting part.
Cheers,
W
Actually, that's true. In fact I proved it again today (unwillingly) with my Xmas Weston Coke bottle. Could I get a good black/white out of that blasted pepper? Not really, and you have no idea how many layers I effed about with before deciding to spoof it up as bauble. It simply wouldn't do the change and look filmic: it just looked flat. Like a pulled, overexposed print.
This isn't anything as esoteric as original sin conceptual thinking about the enormity of the decision: colour or not colour; it's just a failure of the digital medium to handle particular depths well.
;-(
Rob C
-
When I grab a camera to go and shoot art ( rarely) I first :: totally drain all color from my screen. Mostly never turn my screen around to view anyways ..didn't have a "instant image" on my Hassy ~ so don't seem to need it in the field , these days either ..:=-)
I agree with that; and with the Nikon Matrix system, most shots are so well covered that you hardly even need to look at a histogram. I seldom used Polaroid either, though I did buy a back once, not exactly certain why. Do you still have your 'blads?
Rob C
-
When I grab a camera to go and shoot art ( rarely) I first :: totally drain all color from my screen. Mostly never turn my screen around to view anyways ..didn't have a "instant image" on my Hassy ~ so don't seem to need it in the field , these days either ..:=-)
Bravo! Since I only use digital capture for commercial assignments I don't desaturate the screen but I also leave it turned off. Amazing how much more shooting one gets to a battery charge, by the way.
-
I agree with that; and with the Nikon Matrix system, most shots are so well covered that you hardly even need to look at a histogram. I seldom used Polaroid either, though I did buy a back once, not exactly certain why. Do you still have your 'blads?
Rob C
Sold everything : 8X10 -- 3 = 4X5's Linhoff /Sinar -- & an array of nice lenses .......RZ /Rollei SL / Hassy / Nikon's /Makina --- Two motorized enlargers and 20+years of darkroom gear ... nothing left ..
-
The only two digital Canons I have owned ( 20d & 60d ) -- have the availability to reverse the LCD ;-) ( & keeps your screen from scratches ) ..really don't need the screen except for menus ... only shoot full manual.
-
It forces me to ask, and don't reply if you feel that I'm intruding, but what happened?
Life-changes seldom seem to come alone.
Rob C
-
It forces me to ask, and don't reply if you feel that I'm intruding, but what happened?
Life-changes seldom seem to come alone.
Rob C
It's a new digital age -- old school approach & the cameras just don't work in this market. The new kids came to the job market -- working for about 10% of our incomes . Shooting thousands of images on auto-program and then trying to save most of the useable ones > in CS. The budgets changed in the last 3-4 years ~ drastically ~ with Corp and portraits/ weddings .. Quantity instead of quality found a niche ... Rush service became a norm.
-
Amen to that Cjogo. Rome has been sacked yet again.
-
It's a new digital age -- old school approach & the cameras just don't work in this market. The new kids came to the job market -- working for about 10% of our incomes . Shooting thousands of images on auto-program and then trying to save most of the useable ones > in CS. The budgets changed in the last 3-4 years ~ drastically ~ with Corp and portraits/ weddings .. Quantity instead of quality found a niche ... Rush service became a norm.
Thanks for the response - I had thought that gallery-style work was still valid, and the more filmic the better. I guess that the reality is that the bubble has burst and we are all out of soap.
Rush service - my special grouse. I used to dread Friday afternoons. The 'phone would ring and it was always the same thing on Fridays: we need those prints asap Monday morning... guess whose weekend was screwed! Sickening thing was, I sometimes went to the same offices mid-week and the shots were still lying on the desks where I'd left them on Monday, package not even opened. I suppose the ADs didn't stop their lives on the weekend, though.
Rob C