Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on December 06, 2013, 12:32:12 pm

Title: Fields of Toil
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 06, 2013, 12:32:12 pm
From my photo essay, Fields of Toil (http://www.parrikar.com/blog/2013/12/06/fields-of-toil/).

(http://www.parrikar.org/images/LL/Field-Goa-1.jpg)

(http://www.parrikar.org/images/LL/Field-Goa-2.jpg)

(http://www.parrikar.org/images/LL/Field-Goa-3.jpg)
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: francois on December 08, 2013, 12:19:57 pm
I love the colors in these photos… There's also a very good sense of "gesture" in the second photo.
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: Iluvmycam on December 08, 2013, 12:44:59 pm
OK, looks good!
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: Rob C on December 08, 2013, 01:16:34 pm
1.  You missed the moment of death;

2.  when you shoot the sowing of wild seed you need two models;

3.  you should have listened to Russ re. cropping.

(This is supposed to be written in humour - bear with me!)

Actually, I do like the classic simplicity of your shots. However, were it for myself, I'd forget about truth and make that green a bit stronger/darker, I think. It reminds me of some of Eric Meola's work. Take a look -

http://www.ericmeola.com/

Regards -

Rob C
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 08, 2013, 01:34:25 pm
Francois, iluvmycam, Rob - thank you.

Rob, the 4 months of the monsoon (June, July, Aug, Sept) in Goa and its surrounds is a masterclass in green in all its hues.  Some people think I have turned on the saturation slider, but the tropical green at that time of the year is to be seen to be believed.  I shall look up Eric Meola now.  Thanks.
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on December 08, 2013, 06:03:12 pm
I find myself stopping to comment on your images.
I can always just say the same:
Love it !
 ;)
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 09, 2013, 03:18:29 am
Rajan

Overall I like the first two.

Two nits:

On the first it looks like the woman is about to decapitate the man!  If that was your intention then bravo, if not you might want to choose a different frame!

For both numbers 1 and 2 the subjects are a bit too central in the frame for my taste.  If they were somewhere off to the left (#1) or right (#2) the images might have more impact.
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: RSL on December 09, 2013, 09:04:49 am
Hi Rajan,

They're very fine shots. I've enjoyed all the work you've posted.

But I agree with Ed. You might want to experiment with less centrally located subjects. The sower (I assume he's sowing) really needs more room to move into, camera left. I didn't think you cranked up the saturation, because I'm familiar with tropical monsoon greens from the years I spent in Asia, but I agree with Rob that the green appears a bit on the light side.
Title: Re: Fields of Toil
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 09, 2013, 09:50:36 am
Christoph, Ed, Russ - thank you for the critiques.

Ed and Russ - the placement in the centre was deliberate.  I wished to convey their immersion within a sea of green and the quiet mood of an overcast monsoon morning.  In my view, there is not much to be purchased in these instances by an off-centre positioning of the subject.

Ed, you noticed the impending 'decapitation' ! :-)  I think there is more than enough hint of their relative positions on a second inspection.