Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: saltysearabbit on December 06, 2013, 09:47:54 am

Title: Configuring 2012 MBP for tethered Capture
Post by: saltysearabbit on December 06, 2013, 09:47:54 am
Hello Folks, here is a little back story,
  So I just ordered a Refub 15" Macbook Pro off of the apple store. I am going to be using it for shooting tethered with a Hasselblad H3dII-50 into Phocus (and probably Phase one backs and Canon DSLRs into capture one/Aperature at some point). My original plan was to pull the conventional Hard drive and replace with an SSD and max the ram. I was on the fence about pulling the Optical drive and putting the original 1tb in its place.

Now I am thinking about putting in two SSD drives and setting it up for Raid 0. I am wondering if any one has a similar setup and what there experience has been? Pros/Cons, etc? Also any recommendations on which SSD to use? I have been thinking the 480gb OWC Drives.

Here are the specs on how the MBP will arive stock:

i7 2.7ghz processor
8mb Cash
8gb Ram
1tb 5400 HD
1gb Video Card
High-res Antiglare Screen
Title: Re: Configuring 2012 MBP for tethered Capture
Post by: Ellis Vener on December 06, 2013, 02:49:07 pm
RAID 0 has it's uses - but this isn't one of them.
Title: Re: Configuring 2012 MBP for tethered Capture
Post by: saltysearabbit on December 07, 2013, 05:06:24 pm
Ellis, could you elaborate on this? Why do you think this won't beneficial to what I want to use the machine for? When do you feel raid 0 would be beneficial?
Title: Re: Configuring 2012 MBP for tethered Capture
Post by: Ellis Vener on December 09, 2013, 08:46:39 pm
RAID 0 has the advantage of pure speed but the disadvantage  of losing the entire system if either goes down. I am also not sure what kind of speed increase you might actually see, especially with high quality SSDs. .  It makes more sense to me, to but your OS and applications on one of the drives and use your other one as an internal storage and scratch disk, and to transfer your files to an external drive (via thunderbolt) as soon as practical. 

But I am far from an authority on this and recommend you see what Lloyd Chambers has to say at http://macperformanceguide.com/index_topics.html