Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Jilek on December 06, 2013, 07:38:51 am
-
Just looking for some honest thoughts and opinions on this one.
-
very nice...and beautiful tones
-
Well done, David. Yes. The tones are just right.
-
Thanks everyone, I had entered this image to be judged and it kind of bombed. So I have been trying to figure out what the judges may have been thinking.
Thanks again
David
-
David, A lot depends on what else was in the show. It's a lovely picture, but there are many pictures out there like it. It's not quite a cliché, but it's close. On the other hand, it's very well done. Were there other similar pictures in the show? What kind of show was it? And it's impossible to tell from a picture on a computer monitor whether or not your print was up to standards. I've judged more than one photo show and I can think of a lot of reasons why it might have bombed. Having said all that, I'll also tell you I'd be proud of it if it were mine.
-
Can't explain judges :) but it is a lovely image. One nit pick would be to lower the exposure along the right edge a bit to "contain" the eye some. Along the same degree as on the left edge. In the end, as you'll often hear here ;) it's the artist that has to decide. I think what Russ said about judging is right on and I don't think my suggestion would affect the outcome, BTW I love the golden tones in your image.
-
This is a really very beautiful and moody image.
Thanks for letting us see it.
-
Thanks to you all. I played a little with cropping out some of the bottom. I'll try darkening the bottom corners a little and see what I think.
We will never be able to explain judges. Who knows what they bring to the table with them. I through a engagement photo into the mess to for the judges and that one did about the same. I know they don't like people based on past winners but what can ya do. Shoot what ya love or cater to the judges? I say shoot what ya love!
-
David, some thoughts. One can never second-guess curation or judges...and it's useless to try. That said, while I still think the image is very nice...I don't think the the image is a powerful stand-alone image itself. It would be great as part of an editorial set or piece...with a number of other images telling the story about a place e.g.. /B
-
David, Probably the judge should have told you what I always told exhibitors before a judging: "I never enter juried shows myself, because the judges always turn out to be insane."
-
Perfect just the way it was seen ~!!
-
Nice. This is the kind of thing that makes me want to start shooting wildlife.
-
Just looking for some honest thoughts and opinions on this one.
Really lovely.
Jeremy
-
Well, you're well ahead of southern England today: no departures at all.
Pretty shot - beautiful atmosphere.
Rob C
-
You shouldn't hesitate to enter it into another competition. A mistake some make is that they might be aware that a certain judge likes for instance sunset images and they think that they should enter a sunset image. The judge has probably seen a lot of them and has high standards regarding their merits. A mistake. As pointed out it might have been up against some really good entries. Once he/she has picked out the three best then they tend to nit pick the others to justify their decisions. I find it a very likeable image but probably not a competition winner. :)
-
I didn't expect it to win but it never should have bombed the way it did. I might enter it in a different competition or pick a different one from the series. Thanks so much for all the feed back!