Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: David Eckels on December 03, 2013, 07:58:36 pm

Title: The Hand of Man
Post by: David Eckels on December 03, 2013, 07:58:36 pm
Second of two. Do the farm structures in the distance adequately balance the tree?
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 03, 2013, 11:39:23 pm
Oh yes!

Much better than the previous one in my opinion.  There the hand of man was all mixed up with the tree, here they are nicely separated and the image is better balanced.  Like the pastel tones.
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 03, 2013, 11:48:15 pm
Yes. They're very nice.
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 04, 2013, 12:48:25 am
Very pastel and pastoral... nice!
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 04, 2013, 03:21:57 am
Have you tried this in B&W? 
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: francois on December 04, 2013, 06:04:09 am
Yes, they do. It's a beautiful winter scene!
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: RSL on December 04, 2013, 06:32:33 am
It's a winner, David. As Ed suggested, I checked it in B&W -- usually do that with my own shots. It's still good that way, but not as good. The color conveys a feeling that's lost in B&W.
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: David Eckels on December 04, 2013, 08:39:44 am
Pastels YAY! I looked at it in SEP2 when I was creating a luminosity underlayer to add a touch of texture to the foreground and thought it was too cold. Could have been my rendering choice, but I have been trying to work with these lighter tonal qualities. I still like the first on its own merit, but Slobodan's comment about the hand of man made me think maybe I could emphasize it rather and disguise or minimize it. Thanks for the feedback, Gents!
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: Ed Blagden on December 05, 2013, 02:08:23 am
It's a winner, David. As Ed suggested, I checked it in B&W -- usually do that with my own shots. It's still good that way, but not as good. The color conveys a feeling that's lost in B&W.

I agree, I also checked it in BW.  Very nice but the pastels add something.  Lovely shot.
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on December 05, 2013, 06:03:39 pm
Nice shot David, I like it very much and hope to be doing something similar tomorrow, if these gales we are currently having, have calmed down a little.

Can I ask, have you vertically stretched your image?

It is just that to my eyes it looks, or perhaps I should say that the trees look vertically stretched. I have taken the liberty of resizing the image down vertically to show you what I mean, but if you haven't done this to the image and it is an effect of the lens used or something else, then I do apologise and apologise profusely, but can you see what I mean in the version below.

Dave
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: David Eckels on December 05, 2013, 08:20:32 pm
Thanks, Dave. No, no stretching. Shot at 66 mm with the Nikkor 24-120.
Title: Re: The Hand of Man
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on December 06, 2013, 04:39:43 am
Thanks, Dave. No, no stretching. Shot at 66 mm with the Nikkor 24-120.

Sorry Dave, it must just be that I am used to looking at the more stunted trees we see around here in the Highlands and Islands  :)

Dave