Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chris Calohan on December 03, 2013, 12:40:07 pm

Title: 1946
Post by: Chris Calohan on December 03, 2013, 12:40:07 pm
It was a good year and I have my mother as proof of that. As with this image, I too often feel like some things just want to go around the bend to me to wonder - where, why. Creeping amidst the oldness and vagueness, youth still finds it way. I guess when I saw it, regardless of its somewhat mundane existence, I saw lots of me hanging about as well.

(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3832/11192483813_b78189ab7c_o.jpg)
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: Rob C on December 03, 2013, 02:28:01 pm
Helluva nice tones; I'm becoming almost totally oblivious to colour. Atavistic? Guess so.

You could make quite an interesting series around the concept of 'just around the corner', examples of which haven't crossed my radar yet, so cliché would play no part, which is something in itself!

Rob C
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: David Eckels on December 03, 2013, 03:45:55 pm
Excellent! But I have to ask, what is going on with the out of focus trees (?) in the background right? Bad bokeh, lens phenomenon, or something else? BTW, I love the tones in this as Rob said.
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: Chris Calohan on December 03, 2013, 03:53:57 pm
Overzealousness in using a lens blur, I suspect...it got worse during the conversion. I'll likely go in and fix it if I decide to go to print with this one.
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: cjogo on December 03, 2013, 06:31:02 pm
I like the shallow depth --   makes it that much more interesting  --  It would be too "busy" with the distance very sharp .....
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: seamus finn on December 05, 2013, 10:32:09 am
I like it - not just because I was born in 1946!
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: Rob C on December 05, 2013, 10:40:09 am
I like it - not just because I was born in 1946!


Hell's teeth! You missed the best part!

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on December 05, 2013, 01:12:51 pm
After fixing the terrible background bokeh you might want to consider making it square by cropping a bit more from the right than from the left.
Should be pretty awesome then.
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: RSL on December 05, 2013, 04:16:40 pm
Leave it alone. It's already as "awesome" as it needs to be.
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on December 05, 2013, 04:20:54 pm
Leave it alone. It's already as "awesome" as it needs to be.

Russ, don't tell me you like the background bokeh as it is.
It HAS to be fixed.
Of course we can agree to disagree ...  :P

Title: Re: 1946
Post by: mjrichardson on December 06, 2013, 11:40:10 am
Hi

This shot shows how important good processing is, great shot which would be so much better without the lens blur effect which has ruined the background. Why not use it as a planning photo, go back and shoot it wide open and get some nice natural bokeh, it's worth it because the balance and elements are all there to my eye.

Mat
Title: Re: 1946
Post by: Peter McLennan on December 06, 2013, 01:46:59 pm
I've been experimenting using negative clarity instead of lens blur for depth of field effects.