Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: jjj on December 03, 2013, 07:44:30 am
-
May well be of interest…….
Bill Cunningham New York
Wednesday, 11.30am, Sky Arts 1/Virgin CH 281 and Sky Arts 1 HD/Virgin CH 282. Also available after broadcast in Sky On Demand. Cert 12
Bill Cunningham’s impact on fashion photography has been immeasurable. A singular figure, he’s spent over 30 years snapping New York natives – famous and non-famous alike – looking their most fabulous. Can this documentary uncover the enigma behind those legendary fashion pages in The New York Times?
Richard Press, the filmmaker responsible, spent eight years trying to convince Cunningham to let rolling cameras into his life. The result is an illuminating documentary that’s less about fashion and more an insight into the day-to-day routine of a walking contradiction.
Cunningham doesn’t care for celebrity and shuns materialism, refusing to cash the cheques for his work (“If you don’t take money, they can’t tell you what to do”). And yet he’s helped define an industry that thrives on both.
Press mostly allows the photographer to tell his own story. He’s a quote machine. But when the director ropes in Cunningham’s long-time friends and admirers such as Anna Wintour, editor-in-chief at US Vogue, we glimpse a changing world. Cunningham is inextricably linked with the magazine industry. They’re both struggling in the modern world.
New York may be changing, but this 84-year-old is doing what he’s always done: cycling around the city and photographing its snappiest dressers. It’s the tension between these two forces that makes Bill Cunningham: New York so compelling.
-
I'd love to see it, but sadly, I can't get the channel.
;-(
Rob C
-
I watched a documentary about him on Netflix. I don't think this helps Rob. What a character! I liked the way he would show up at these glamorous dinner parties looking just like a regular guy, yet all the women would dote on him. It was interesting to see the way he worked.
-
I watched a documentary about him on Netflix. I don't think this helps Rob. What a character! I liked the way he would show up at these glamorous dinner parties looking just like a regular guy, yet all the women would dote on him. It was interesting to see the way he worked.
I have seen something about him already on the Internet, and as far as I can recall, he has a whole collection of boxes and files in his rooms... rather a loose spirit, if not cannon! The comment about his not taking money rings bells too. Now that I think more deeply about it, it may have been on Sky TV which used to do a fashion show (Fashion TV) from Toronto, fronted by Jeannie Becker (spelling?) who also did interviews with Newton and many others. I used to like watching that.
Rob C
-
Bill Cunningham New York is a wonderful and spirited documentary, and I would recommend it highly. Even non-photographers will get something out of it. Well worth the time, IMHO. It's a glimpse into an amazing life, and a part of New York that probably doesn't exist anymore.
-
Gah! Forgot to set box to record programme after getting distracted with work.
-
Gah! Forgot to set box to record programme after getting distracted with work.
That's worse than not having access to the channel!
Rob C
-
That's worse than not having access to the channel!
Yup! Even dafter as I made a post about it.
-
Yup! Even dafter as I made a post about it.
So how do you think that I feel about it? I was even going to try and con a copy out of you!
;-)
Rob C
-
Actually I need to sort out how to get programmes out of HDrecorder. I have some shows I need to keep as I was involved with them and we need to upgrade the box before it dies.
-
Amazon seems to have a 3 day downloadable rental for US$4
http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Cunningham-New-York/dp/B005MMY7GO/ref=tmm_aiv_title_0/183-5433617-1812726
but I think for the extra dollars I'd rather buy it
http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Cunningham-York-Anna-Wintour/dp/B0050I975Q
-
It's repeated tomorrow [7th] on Sky Arts at 7am and Sunday the 15th at 4.30am.
Locatetv (http://www.locatetv.com/movie/bill-cunningham-new-york/7736015#07-Dec-2013) is a very handy way of finding out when shows are on and also what season/episode too.