Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: NancyP on December 02, 2013, 07:30:51 pm

Title: Filter systems for compact cameras
Post by: NancyP on December 02, 2013, 07:30:51 pm
I have the DP#Merrill cameras, which have made me pay most attention to landscape photography. I would like to get a rectangular filter set, basically holder plus GND set, perhaps plus reverse GND, if the trick of layering two GNDs in opposite orientation doesn't simulate a reverse GND well enough . Right now I have only a CPL. I do not have 4" (100mm) filter system holders or filters, but I do use standard DSLRs as well as the Merrills. I would like to hear experiences, pro and con, with the various filter system holders and filters out there.

1. Lee 100mm
2. Lee Seven Five
3. Formatt Hitech 67mm - a new system with new holder
4. Formatt Hitech 85mm
5. Cokin A and P
6. any others
Title: Re: Filter systems for compact cameras
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 04, 2013, 04:16:44 am
I have kind of adapted over time. I have some Singh Ray GND filters from 10 years ago, still use them on Fuji X cameras with a Cokin P holder.
Title: Re: Filter systems for compact cameras
Post by: Greg D on December 05, 2013, 01:31:10 pm
I can only offer a little help, but here it is.... I've used the HiTech filters.  I used a Cokin P holder for awhile, but it sometimes caused vignetting.  So now I use small spring clamps (approx. 3cm long) to clip the filters to a step-up ring (85mm on the outside, whatever my lens thread is on the inside).  Works fine.  As for the quality of the filters, I've found the ND grads to be okay (I have 2- & 3-stop soft and a 1-stop hard) but quit using the solid NDs (went back to screw-in) because once past about 3 stops the magenta color cast was too much.
Title: Re: Filter systems for compact cameras
Post by: NancyP on December 06, 2013, 01:45:40 pm
Thanks.
Title: Re: Filter systems for compact cameras
Post by: Steve A Gosling on January 08, 2014, 05:25:54 pm
Lee Seven5 system without a doubt the best. High quality, comprehensive system and well made. I've been using this system with an OMD and Leica M9 without a problem
Title: Re: Filter systems for compact cameras
Post by: PhotoEcosse on January 09, 2014, 06:06:42 am
without a doubt

Rather an absolute sort of statement. There are always doubts.  I use some Lee filters and some Chinese cheapies that cost roughly 5% of the price of the Lee ones.

At my standard output (normally A3+ salon-quality prints from a D800 or D800E) I would defy anyone to discern whether Lee or Chinese had been used.

Of course, you will always get those who are tied to the inane cliché "why spend £1500 on a lens and stick a £5 filter in front of it?". But, when no-one can tell the difference, why not?