Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on November 25, 2013, 08:11:55 pm

Title: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Harald L on November 25, 2013, 08:11:55 pm
Shot this awkward tree at the Cape. Tried to convert it into BW but that didn't work. C&C?

Harald
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 25, 2013, 10:09:35 pm
Two suggestions: clone out that lone dandelion and vignette it a bit more. Otherwise, a decent naturalistic shot.
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: wolfnowl on November 26, 2013, 02:19:06 am
Depends on what you're wanting to say.  B&W could work.
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 26, 2013, 08:15:55 am
That's a good one, Mike!
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: RSL on November 26, 2013, 08:51:58 am
Yeah. I like Mike's B&W too. And that's not a dandelion, Slobodan, it's a little daisy.
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: francois on November 26, 2013, 09:18:05 am
Depends on what you're wanting to say.  B&W could work.

It works very well, much better than the color version. Good job!
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Richowens on November 26, 2013, 10:38:01 am
 A dandelon is a daisy.
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: RSL on November 26, 2013, 10:55:46 am
Maybe in California, but everywhere else a taraxacum is not an asteraceae.
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 26, 2013, 11:38:12 am
....that's not a dandelion, Slobodan, it's a little daisy.

But of course, your D800 can discern the difference, my lowly 60D can not :'(
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Harald L on November 26, 2013, 01:35:17 pm
Thank you guys for your suggestions. Vignetting and removing the little white flower is a good idea which are applied in the new version (little bit vignetting and radical removing). I have to keep the 3:2 ratio because I need this picture for my calendar-2014 project but I have to admit that 5:7 or 1:1 works as well.

Like the BW-idea and will try it out occasionally.

Harald
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 26, 2013, 02:13:29 pm
I know I'm a little late but still ...
I felt like inflicting some copyright infringement and bashing the sites TOS relentlessly and whatever.
Here is my suggestion:
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Rob C on November 26, 2013, 04:35:48 pm
I'd hate to be a tree.

Unfortunately, last-night's gale blew down our only mimosa tree. Sad, because my wife and I were instrumental in its planting many years ago. It served the very useful purpose of screening off another block of apartments across the gardens... oh well, maybe some beautiful people may move in at some stage. But I'd never see them, anyway, as the interesting side of our place faces southwards along the line of the Tramuntana mountains. We used to be able to look at the winter snows on Puig Major, at 1445 metres, the highest peak in Mallorca and, surprisingly, higher, I believe, than anything in the UK. It was all quite romantic, in its way.

Now I see part of the range, but most, including Puig, has been hidden behind a freshly growing pine forest, courtesy the EEC that bribed our local farmer to slaughter all his animals and stop growing cereals. So, gone the animal life, the flowing sea of golden corn and a big Hi! to the green gloom that's overtaken the abadoned, once-productive farm. Mallorca was probably quite self-sufficient in terms of food production at one time.

Did I ever mention my theory about a lost Golden Age? Probably not.

Rob C
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Harald L on November 26, 2013, 06:07:52 pm
I know I'm a little late but still ...
I felt like inflicting some copyright infringement and bashing the sites TOS relentlessly and whatever.
Here is my suggestion:


Brillant idea. I've dared to improve a little bit;-)

Harald
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Richowens on November 27, 2013, 12:41:38 am
Maybe in California, but everywhere else a taraxacum is not an asteraceae.




Dandelion


Plant




Taraxacum is a large genus of flowering plants in the family Asteraceae. They are native to Eurasia and North and South America, and two species, T. officinale and T. erythrospermum, are found as weeds worldwide. Wikipedia
Title: Re: Cape of Good Hope
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 27, 2013, 01:01:42 am
Brillant idea. I've dared to improve a little bit;-)

Harald

ROFL. You made my day for today ... :D