Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on November 23, 2013, 12:31:19 pm

Title: Zabriskie
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on November 23, 2013, 12:31:19 pm
Thoughts? I'm toying with cropping a little off the bottom, to improve (well, change) the balance.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 23, 2013, 01:54:07 pm
Yes, I would take a little off the bottom.
If you do, and you prefer the original format, you could afford to take a little off the sides to bring it back to the same proportions.

Eric
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: cjogo on November 23, 2013, 02:18:28 pm
Looking good in color -- always had B&W in this neighborhood  :D
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: RSL on November 23, 2013, 03:09:21 pm
Yes, I would take a little off the bottom.
If you do, and you prefer the original format, you could afford to take a little off the sides to bring it back to the same proportions.

Eric

Eric, Are you talking about a photograph or a haircut?
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: Rob C on November 23, 2013, 04:06:13 pm
This is what, ultimately, makes this place irresitible.

Rob C
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: Alan Klein on November 23, 2013, 04:09:40 pm
Either way looks nice.  The color and shapes are quiet and serene.  Nice shot.
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 23, 2013, 08:29:43 pm
Eric, Are you talking about a photograph or a haircut?
Russ, Every time I get a haircut I ask the barber to glue the trimmings on top to cover the sparse landscape, but they never do.  :(
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: cjogo on November 25, 2013, 03:19:40 am
Nice shoot on location  for John (https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1399756_10151841762424482_1302621119_o.jpg)
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: cjogo on November 25, 2013, 03:20:23 am
(https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/943018_10202486589917131_1572257165_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 25, 2013, 02:43:24 pm
Those are hilarious!
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: Rob C on November 25, 2013, 03:28:48 pm
What's not so hilarious is the long centre-column; that's what I'm stuck with on my big Gitzo, and the single time I tried to use it really low, tripod legs released and parted beyond the normal position, I ended up having to extend one out again just in order to keep the column off the carpet. As a result, it looked like an advanced case of Pisa and as unbalanced in use once the camera was on it. As bad, I discovered that years ago, when I'd bought the head for it, I'd attached it so tightly that I no longer have the muscle to detach it, rendering any ideas of getting a short column void.

On the other hand, perhaps it would have been a waste of time since I never take it out of the house anymore. It requires the use of a modified (souped-up?) wheelie shopping bag. Not very cool.

Rob C
Title: Re: Zabriskie
Post by: cjogo on November 25, 2013, 04:05:40 pm
What's not so hilarious is the long centre-column; that's what I'm stuck with on my big Gitzo, and the single time I tried to use it really low, tripod legs released and parted beyond the normal position, I ended up having to extend one out again just in order to keep the column off the carpet. l.

Rob C

They make short ones -- that's what I used with my Linhoff head and a big Studex ....