Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: John V. on November 20, 2013, 11:14:17 pm

Title: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: John V. on November 20, 2013, 11:14:17 pm
So, the Epson 11880 is not printing at the correct image size for large roll prints. I print an image that's 40.25"x48.25" I get a print that's 40.25x48". I print an image that's 40.5"x48.5" I get a print that's 40.5"x47.5."

What am I forgetting to do here? I'm not sure if it's an epson problem or a photoshop problem

I had "scale to fit media" unchecked, but I did have "center image" checked.

I should mention the driver settings. Roll paper selected. Print size is "User Defined," where I then enter the physical dimensions of the canvas. For these slightly oversized 40x48 prints those dimensions were 44x50".
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: Ken Doo on November 20, 2013, 11:23:38 pm
Are you printing on canvas by chance?  Is this the George Costanza (Seinfeld "It was the pool!") shrinkage effect?

Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: John V. on November 20, 2013, 11:32:15 pm
That would makes sense if it were the case (it is rather warm here though). But no haha, these are fresh out of the printer. No varnish. Plus a whole inch was cut off on the second print, and it's just the lengthwise dimension that's getting messed up. All of my smaller prints out of this printer have been at the dimensions represented in Photoshop.
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: na goodman on November 21, 2013, 12:46:45 am
It would be only the running length that would shrink, not the width.
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: Ken Doo on November 21, 2013, 08:31:48 am
Is it canvas you're printing on??

Application of the protective varnish is usually where the Costanza Effect is most pronounced, but shrinkage can/does occur right out of the printer too.  Canvas is "cloth" which is pliable and stretches a bit.  Shrinkage occurs along the length of the print.

I'm not sure about the 11880 driver, but the 9900 allows designation of "canvas" under fine art media selections on the printer.  This often resolves much of the shrinkage issue. 

It's not too difficult to figure out the percentage of shrinkage to compensate for in PS, or use a printer utility like Qimage Ultimate, which allows you to enter that percentage into the program when printing on canvas.

ken
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: jferrari on November 22, 2013, 09:29:42 pm
Printer properties>Paper config>Paper Feed Adjustment. I have to run mine at +70 which brings the running length of the canvas to within a sixteenth of an inch.
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: Some Guy on November 22, 2013, 10:25:11 pm
"Qimage Ultimate" has a Canvas Shrink Factor and calculator built into it.  In your 48.5 inch long example that ends up being a 47.5 inch length, it asks to apply a 2.11% shrinkage factor to compensate for the canvas shrinkage (Which occurs in length.).

SG
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: hugowolf on November 23, 2013, 12:38:52 am
physical dimensions of the canvas


And there you have it. The canvas stretches during printing, and shrinks back when it comes off.

Brian A
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: jferrari on November 23, 2013, 08:00:16 am
And there you have it. The canvas stretches during printing, and shrinks back when it comes off.

Sorry, Brian, not buying it. The tension and stresses involved with your theory are simply not within the capabilities of most printers. I attribute the "shrinkage" factor to traction, or the lack of traction, if you will. Liken this to driving your car on nice smooth pavement or a bumpy road. There is virtually no slippage of your tires on the pavement but traction on the bumpy road is less than 100%. Same principle with textured (bumpy) canvas being fed through a printer. There is slippage between the feed rollers and the pinch rollers and is further exacerbated by the back tension and mass of the roll of canvas stock itself. This is a known issue and can be dealt with by using a take-up reel and/or an adjustment in the software. That's my opinion, YMMV.     - Jim
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: TSJ1927 on November 23, 2013, 10:08:36 pm
I have had an 11880 for 4.5 years and printed many lengths at 60+ inches...............all accurate.  You may need to check the spindle and move the tension switch to low tension.  High resistance + the mass of a heavy canvas role may be part of the problem. 

I always load a roll in the "sheet" setting. Once the roll is positioned by the printer, switch from "sheet" to "roll" (in printer control panel).  In PS setup your sheet size but be sure to select "roll" in printer's driver setup.   This will save you that 8 inch of lead in waste.

You may try to pre-cut a sheet size from your canvas roll and print as a sheet.  Leave enough borders.
Title: Re: Large prints not printing at correct size
Post by: John V. on December 06, 2013, 07:24:48 pm
well huh