Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: graeme on November 20, 2013, 07:49:02 pm
-
Found these when I had another look at some shots I took a few weeks ago. Hope they are of interest.
Graeme
-
Good King detail in no.1 and the bw is fantastic. Only niggle is the lion seems to distract a little. Framing probably very difficult in that situation. Low light as well probably?
The vignette in no.2 (if thats what it is) helps to highlight the figure.
Thanks for sharing I know nothing of Belton House, I'm off to find out!
Ned
-
I wouldn't say they're particularly good photos. The first, as mentioned previously, is not helped by the lion being almost a part of the sculpture of the kings crown. This photo have been better as detail shot..with a tighter crop (and moving cam. very slightly to left) focusing on the kings head and hands mostly...and with the shallowest d.o.f. you could get. The second image is a tableau of sorts...but is it a good one?..I'm not so sure. In the same wise the figure in the bg is nearly right on top of the sculpture in the fg. - and all of the foliage cluttering the frame along with the large uninteresting base which is almost as big as the sculpture resting on it - is not helping this "tableau"...the eye rambles all over. I would try shooting tighter in both situations.
-
Hi Ned & Brandt
( This probably breaks some kind of forum record as a belated response - I've had a mad couple of months relocating workshop ).
Yeah the first photo does look better with the lion removed, I think I just liked the little fella so I left him in. I've cropped a little tighter as well. It was a difficult shot to frame as the tomb is at an awkward level & surrounded by a rail & other clutter.
Re the 2nd photo, you're probably right Brandt although I have no problem with figures vertically on top of each other ( stained glass design training I guess ). Anyway, I've attached a tighter crop with the plinth darkened.
Thanks for the responses & best wishes for 2014
Graeme
-
Excellent work. I think you should introduce them; she looks so sad and he looks so content...
Mike.
-
Graeme - they look a lot better, especially the king...much more focused. While I'm still not crazy about the second...it's a big improvement. Best wishes to you too for 2014...and good luck shooting. /Brandt