Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on November 20, 2013, 07:46:59 pm

Title: Coastal View
Post by: cjogo on November 20, 2013, 07:46:59 pm
Just out for a sunset
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 21, 2013, 01:59:46 am
Its a nice image.
The composition works for me.
Horizon tilt is at about 1.2. degree. ;)
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: cjogo on November 21, 2013, 12:45:43 pm
Its a nice image.
The composition works for me.
Horizon tilt is at about 1.2. degree. ;)

Those darn non SLR cameras -- that little window always gives me trouble    http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mvGV_994R2JDSctD1Nfzi4w.jpg

Looks like maybe all my images are a tilted a few degrees ..
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 21, 2013, 03:43:22 pm
Those darn non SLR cameras -- that little window always gives me trouble    http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mvGV_994R2JDSctD1Nfzi4w.jpg

Looks like maybe all my images are a tilted a few degrees ..
In fifty years of shooting film I don't think I ever shot a hand-held image that wasn't tilted. With negative film it was easy to fix in the enlarger. With slides I always tried extra hard to level things, but never completely succeeded.

But, in my opinion, the horizon is a tiny part of this image and the tilt doesn't bother me a bit.
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: fike on November 21, 2013, 04:17:14 pm
I like these images a lot. I like the dark tonality. I like the movement in the water and the textures of the rocks. 

...but, those tilted horizons are an obstacle to to an unqualified declaration of excellence. can you level them in post processing?
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 21, 2013, 04:26:19 pm
...but, those tilted horizons are an obstacle to to an unqualified declaration of excellence. can you level them in post processing?

The nasty thing about those tilts is when you fix them they cut stuff from your image you might just direly need.
I hate it when it happens to me and my composition gets messed up because of fixing.
I only correct tilts when it doesn't destroy the composition afterwards and when they really annoy me.
But they start annoying me in my images at about 0.5 to 1 degrees already.
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: fike on November 21, 2013, 04:34:00 pm
The nasty thing about those tilts is when you fix them they cut stuff from your image you might just direly need.
I hate it when it happens to me and my composition gets messed up because of fixing.
I only correct tilts when it doesn't destroy the composition afterwards and when they really annoy me.
But they start annoying me in my images at about 0.5 to 1 degrees already.

There are two ways to fix a tilted horizon: warping/skewing or rotating and cropping.  Pick your poison. Warping the image stretches your pixels and may blur detail in large prints.  Rotating and cropping removes image area.  I am not sure this particular image is so tilted to to warrant a large amount of rotation, so I think cropping would be minimal. 
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: Rob C on November 21, 2013, 04:55:33 pm
What's a degree or so in the great scheme of things natural?

No, not temperature where it might make quite a difference; tilt, of a picture, not of the Earth's axis.

;-)

Rob C
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: WalterEG on November 21, 2013, 05:57:24 pm
I can't recall ever having taken a photograph without a spirited level either attached or built-in to the camera.

I am the Horizon Gestapo and cannot abide slight inclines to the horizon.  Of course, there is a point of tilt beyond which a slanting horizon becomes an intrinsic part of the statement being made.

In the movies, tilting the camera off level was referred to as Dutch tilt.  I wonder if the same applies to ARAT?

W
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: cjogo on November 21, 2013, 06:14:26 pm
Those Horizon Gestapo's get  ya every time ----  ;D  Yes the finder did have a leveler -- just was hand-held for a few images .. testing  a  newer - improved -  400 ASA film -- in the 80's  ::)
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: WalterEG on November 21, 2013, 06:17:22 pm
I wonder if revised sensor technology is the 21st Century version of 'Improved' film emulsions?

hehehehehe,

W
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: Harald L on November 21, 2013, 06:20:04 pm
I wonder if revised sensor technology is the 21st Century version of 'Improved' film emulsions?

hehehehehe,

W

For sure not but it has the Gestapo built in.

Harald
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: cjogo on November 21, 2013, 06:28:49 pm
Horizon seemed to cooperate in this one  ;)
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: cjogo on November 21, 2013, 06:29:52 pm
Little BOW action -- but its a 38 Biogon -- somewhat wide on this Hassy
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: cjogo on November 21, 2013, 06:30:50 pm
Still holding steady -- climbing over the rocks on Coast
Title: Re: Coastal View
Post by: cjogo on November 21, 2013, 08:46:43 pm
What's a degree or so in the great scheme of things natural?

No, not temperature where it might make quite a difference; tilt, of a picture, not of the Earth's axis.

;-)

Rob C
Think I will reference the title as " while shot from a moving car "  ;D