Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Harald L on November 14, 2013, 08:02:45 am

Title: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Harald L on November 14, 2013, 08:02:45 am
I've just revised the pictures I've made recently at the "Zeche Zollverein" which is an abandoned coking plant in Essen. The UNESCO World Heritage has been carefully restored and serves nowadays as a museum.

More stuff you'll find at Zollverein on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/harlemhh/sets/72157633795346682/)

Harald
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: muntanela on November 14, 2013, 09:16:24 am
Very interesting, why Zollverein? Is it related to the customs union in 1834  (List usw)?  How?
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Harald L on November 14, 2013, 09:26:49 am
Very interesting, why Zollverein? Is it related to the customs union in 1834  (List usw)?  How?

Yes, you're right. At that time "Zollverein" was a synonym for upswing and prosperity.

Harald
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Bruce Cox on November 14, 2013, 10:14:01 am
I like the pictures and fancy they could be even better if:

 If in Mining Cars [II] the middle car had seemed three dimensional, maybe more information in the highlight up its edge?

 If Workbench was matted on something other than white, the first aid box and highlights on the tools might be happier.

 If in Rails the bright orange wheels at the top were shifted off center, maybe square framing starting on the right side?
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 14, 2013, 12:37:32 pm
What a wonderful place to photograph! Great shots!
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Rob C on November 14, 2013, 01:45:24 pm
I like your third shot best; it offers perspective and depth where the other two strike me as flat, probably also because of the huge open light sources that make everthing of equal weight...

Maybe your last one would work well in b/white, too.

Rob C
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 14, 2013, 02:01:29 pm
#3 is extraordinary! Wonderful, dynamic composition, leading lines, beautiful combination of colors, and some unusual colors (for metal) as well (pink, green).
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Harald L on November 14, 2013, 05:56:21 pm
Thank you guys for your helpful critiques and comments.

@Bruce: You may be right to consider a squarish frame but this is a series in which I want to have every picture in landscape format.

@Rob: Yes, you're right, I've flattened #1 and #2 too much and they lost some atmosphere. I've tried to correct this. I've also tried a BW but to be honest I'm not convinced by the results. Perhaps I'm too attracted by the colors of this pictures. Feel free to infringe my copyrights...

@Slobodan: Thank you. The very special colors are a product of the careful lightning on site which was installed by artists. Furthermore most metal parts are treated by different acids. And last but not least I've composed a particular curves recipe which I've applied on all pictures of this series.

Harald
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Bruce Cox on November 14, 2013, 07:07:24 pm
For me:

 The new Mining Cars [II] is greatly improved.

 The Stairs are very much fun and scary.

 The new Workbench is very scary and no fun.
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Chris Calohan on November 15, 2013, 01:50:31 pm
I like the third one as is (first series), and the first one in the second series, best...good job, Harald!
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 15, 2013, 01:58:49 pm
Big improvement with the 2nd series.
Well done !
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Chris Calohan on November 15, 2013, 04:02:12 pm
I'd love to see that curves recipe... ;D
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Harald L on November 15, 2013, 04:17:27 pm
I'd love to see that curves recipe... ;D

Here you are

Harald
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Chris Calohan on November 15, 2013, 04:29:30 pm
I used something similar on the edit I sent you though my blue curve wasn't quite as intense. Interesting and though I am working in CS6, the curve profiles are pretty close.
Title: Re: Zeche Zollverein
Post by: Harald L on November 15, 2013, 04:38:16 pm
I used something similar on the edit I sent you though my blue curve wasn't quite as intense. Interesting and though I am working in CS6, the curve profiles are pretty close.

I have the same curve set in CS6 (which works out equally) but I try to avoid photoshopping by doing as much adjustments as possible in C1.