Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 10, 2013, 02:56:33 pm

Title: Sunlit Wall - A semi abstract study
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 10, 2013, 02:56:33 pm
I personally think the shadows are not totally optimal and I should have taken
the image a bit earlier, when the shadows were more to the left, and yes -
its a bit oversharpened - however -
here it is:
Title: Re: Sunlit Wall - A semi abstract study
Post by: ned.ward on November 10, 2013, 04:13:25 pm
This interests me. It unsettles.

The shadow through the clay relief seems to create a barrier, and leaves a "barred" feeling to me. I shot a church with strong shadows of a tree across it having visited the churchyard soon after the tragic early death of a relative. I was bitter about the church (there had been serious claims in the news about child abuse), salvation and the whole religious philosophies thing. Probably deep in grief the scarring of the church icon in my shot was intentional. I asked for a review elsewhere and it was slated.

This brings it back.

If the shadow had beneath then it would have created a nice frame within the frame, as it stands it feels a little like vandalism but from your description there was no intention for this.

Sorry Christoph you  did ask!  :)
Title: Re: Sunlit Wall - A semi abstract study
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 10, 2013, 04:17:26 pm
Sorry Christoph you  did ask!  :)

We must stay honest here or we start circle jerking otherwise and the user critiques loses its purpose ...
Title: Re: Sunlit Wall - A semi abstract study
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on November 10, 2013, 05:15:27 pm
It is a bit unsettling, but I think that is good. The shadow crossing the clay relief introduces some ambiguity that enriches the image, IMHO. As si there are several possible readings of the image, and Ned's is certainly one valid one.