Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: Jim Kasson on November 08, 2013, 07:00:28 pm
-
I installed new Nikon lens (the 58mm f/1.4) on a body today and noticed something different. Where there used to be a white dot on the barrel of the lens that you needed to line up with the corresponding dot on the body to install the lens, there is now a raised white rounded piece of plastic, very similar to the red plastic locator on M-series Leica lenses.
In combination with a similar raised white plastic bump on recent Nikon bodies (at least the D4 and D800) this means that you no longer have to look at the camera or lens while changing lenses. It's also faster for me to find the bump by feel than it is to spin the lens around in my hand until I can see it.
While it's nothing earth-shaking, to me it is a welcome improvement.
Is the bump on other lenses?
Jim
-
The Nikon System 1 uses bumps, too. It's great for changing/putting away lenses in the dark.
-
About time!
-
Another nice thing about the Nikon 1 bump is that it's oriented so that it faces straight up (assuming your camera is horizontally level) rather than a few degrees clockwise on the F-mount. Nice touches :)
-
This is a revolution!
The positive mind set of the photographers having mounted their lenses with ease is likely to dramatically improve the quality of the images captured!
Cheers,
Bernard
-
About time!
It's only been 45 years since the Leicaflexes started using this feature ;)
-
Just checked out my Canon L series lenses and they have raised red bumps as do my Lumix and Leica MFT lenses.
Cheers,
-
I'm sorry. I was imprecise in my original question. What I was trying to ask is: "Are there other Nikon-manufactured F-mount lenses with this feature?"
Jim