Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: David Watson on November 06, 2013, 12:49:57 pm

Title: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: David Watson on November 06, 2013, 12:49:57 pm
Hi

Has anyone used this mode to produce still life or product shots.  Nikon seem to think that this will produce a better quality image - is this true?

All opinions gratefully received as I am just about to photograph 50 or 60 necklaces.
Title: Re: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: Dennishh on November 07, 2013, 04:23:58 pm
Hi David – – I've never used to multi-exposure mode but I gave it a shot just because your question. It seems to be a in camera attempt at exposure bracketing automaticly, I tried it with six exposures set to auto against one exposure normally. The D800e did expose six frames and then put them together resulting in one frame, but to tell you the truth there was hardly any difference other than the exposure bracketed image looked a little cleaner as far as base noise goes. There's a way to set the exposure for each frame manually which I didn't do but might be more productive. Best way to try it is to multiple test shots with your jewelry, my gut feeling is it would be tedious to do this on 60 shots. Especially when you might have to use focus stacking anyways. When shooting jewelry it seems to be a very controlled lighting situation that probably wouldn't need multi-exposure mode .
Dennis
Title: Re: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: langier on November 08, 2013, 10:22:49 am
Are you talking about the HDR feature which spits out a jpeg or the Multi Exposure that allows you to move the camera between exposure?

Haven't tried the HDR since I don't want a jpeg file at capture. I have used the Multiple exposure to add a moon to the landscape, a hazy glow to a flower, etc. that works fine.

Best bet for jewelry is to ace the lighting so you won't get buried in post processing with HDR.
Title: Re: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on November 08, 2013, 11:18:07 am
When the D800 first came out I did a series of test with Multiple Exposure. I did not keep the files.
What I remember was that doing multiple exposures with different exposure times gave me a NEF file with a bit better DR.
In camera HDR I think it was JPG only.
Sorry I don't have anymore information.

ACH
Title: Re: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: alan_b on November 08, 2013, 01:09:20 pm
I've used it shooting available-light interiors to reduce shadow noise (even further than the already low default).  Another variant is to use it for multiple strobe pops.  I use that quite a bit, and find it a valuable feature.  It does output a raw file.

I don't see it being as useful for studio shots where you are in control of the contrast though.
Title: Re: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on November 08, 2013, 09:22:33 pm
Alan that's great information as I do interiors too.
ACH
Title: Re: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: lumiway on July 31, 2014, 09:29:09 am
I know the guy who took the photos of these pearl necklaces (and other pearl jewelery) at http://www.mesenso.com/ and he definitely used the D800E. I can't say for sure whether he used the feature that you're speaking of but I can try and get in touch and check. I have one of these myself and found it to be nothing but a joy to use for product shots.
Title: Re: Multiple exposure mode on the D800E
Post by: fdisilvestro on August 01, 2014, 07:06:19 pm
Using multiple exposure mode on the D800 or similar cameras with the auto-gain mode allows to average several captures which results in reduced photon and read noise. This is analogous to the "multi-pass" technique used in scanning. It works only on static subjects and if your camera is really stationary, otherwise you will lose some sharpness due to misalignment (at 36Mpx, even breathing on the camera will move it 1 pixel apart between images)