Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: bpepz on November 04, 2013, 08:53:54 am

Title: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: bpepz on November 04, 2013, 08:53:54 am
I was doing a shoot yesterday, and I noticed the mirror slap sounding particularly loud, then further along the shoot the mirror would sometimes have a significant delay coming back down after some shots, like over a 2 seconds sometimes. I Don't think its the shutter because the shots always come out ok. Do you guys think the mirror is dying? Anyone have experience with this? I am a bit disappointed because I just had it serviced by Hasselblad/Bron to make sure everything was in good condition, and now this problem comes up.
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: bpepz on November 04, 2013, 10:01:49 am
Update - I tried shooting without the lens on, it does indeed seem to be the mirror.
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: MaxKißler on November 04, 2013, 11:09:59 am
How many actuations does the body have?
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: bpepz on November 04, 2013, 11:25:37 am
How many actuations does the body have?

I think something like 17k
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: MaxKißler on November 04, 2013, 11:57:44 am
My H2 (bought it used) has about 70k and works flawlessly. Do you have the latest firmware installed?
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: bpepz on November 04, 2013, 12:42:16 pm
My H2 (bought it used) has about 70k and works flawlessly. Do you have the latest firmware installed?

yes
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: MaxKißler on November 04, 2013, 02:23:56 pm
Did you accidentially set up the mirror delay to 200ms? If I remember correctly I read somewhere that Hasselblad H bodies tend to get unreliable at about 200k exposures.
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: Nick-T on November 04, 2013, 04:16:31 pm
Does this happen with a fresh battery?
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: bpepz on November 04, 2013, 07:54:32 pm
Did you accidentially set up the mirror delay to 200ms? If I remember correctly I read somewhere that Hasselblad H bodies tend to get unreliable at about 200k exposures.

I usually have it set to 100ms, i tried it at 0 ms and 200 ms, it will still "Stick" and not come down after a few exposures. The battery should be fresh, but I will try it with more incase that is the problem.
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: Douglas Fairbank on November 05, 2013, 11:52:26 am
Although it sounds like a mirror fault it is probably a body shutter fault. Whatever it turns out be I think you will need Hasselblad Bron to check it.
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: jerome_m on November 05, 2013, 02:31:51 pm
I just had it serviced by Hasselblad/Bron to make sure everything was in good condition, and now this problem comes up.

At the risk of stating the obvious, may I remind you that service comes with a warranty? Send the camera back, this is not the service you paid for.
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: rem on November 05, 2013, 08:00:15 pm
you now, that when the battery is low, the camera is switching to another mode and sounds other than normal. How Nick asked, you have the same problem with a charged battery?
rem
Title: Re: Strange problem with Hasselblad H3D
Post by: bpepz on November 14, 2013, 09:39:14 pm
Ok guys I think I have my answer now. In the middle of a shoot it stopped working and I was greeted with an error on the grip "auxiliary shutter problem, ID 25:1", I took off the back and saw the aux shutter is stuck half way open. I sent it in to Hasselblad/Bron, looks like its going to be $850 to repair.