Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: cjogo on November 01, 2013, 11:46:09 pm

Title: Early Color Blues
Post by: cjogo on November 01, 2013, 11:46:09 pm
80's negative film stock -- just didn't have it  :'(

and this has lots of tweaks --  :o  we've come so far > even today's  P&S digital would leave this one by the side ...
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 02, 2013, 05:10:28 am
Very beautiful light, and very nice treatment in post.
You might want to blur the sky (or not - depends if you want the grain).
Well done!
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: stamper on November 02, 2013, 05:13:24 am
The "faded" look adds to what is a very nice composition. The lead in to the house is perfect. One of your best. :)
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: Rob C on November 02, 2013, 05:51:42 am
Bugger! That's exactly the sort of strong, beach-cleaning surge and tow that cleans sand into wide, useable backgrounds for bodies. You never - so far, and in my experience - find that in the Mediterranean, even though you do get some rare but huge storms. I'd have enjoyed using those waves as OOF backdrops to long-lens figure stuff. But you really do require tides, and all we get here are water level height variations due to atmospheric pressure.

Rob C
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: cjogo on November 02, 2013, 12:50:27 pm
I've worked the Mediterranean > I had to go to Brittany to find the waves :D  ---      This part of the Pacific ,   really lends itself to the pictorial tides ...I have this view everyday  > just the skies change  ;)
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: Mjollnir on November 02, 2013, 02:08:22 pm
Carmel Highlands, I take it?
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: cjogo on November 02, 2013, 02:41:18 pm
Highlands /PT Lobos
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: degrub on November 02, 2013, 10:01:28 pm
It's a king tide in the morning ( sun and moon aligned).

Frank
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: Michael West on November 03, 2013, 12:23:40 am
80's negative film stock -- just didn't have it  :'(
javascript:void(0);
and this has lots of tweaks --  :o  we've come so far > even today's  P&S digital would leave this one by the side ...

is this processing worth looking at?
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on November 03, 2013, 03:29:07 am
is this processing worth looking at?

To me it looks overcooked and the subtlety of the original is gone.
Title: Re: Early Color Blues
Post by: cjogo on November 03, 2013, 12:21:55 pm
is this processing worth looking at?

That's about how Velvia looked >>  when it came along a few years later ... I really "processed" the image before I uploaded --- well a lot more subtle then your tweaks .    I do a lot of work with wands on individual areas :  

Negative film just didn't have it ~ back 30 years ago.... :(