Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Seoonmie on October 31, 2013, 12:55:44 pm

Title: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Seoonmie on October 31, 2013, 12:55:44 pm
Days have turned wet and dreary, it seems like a long time to go to proper winter... here's a little memory from last February. Some unexpected visitors in the backyard tree.

(http://jjuntunen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Kuvia+metsist%E4/Elikoita_ja_%F6t%F6k%F6it%E4/Tilhet_pihapuussa/tilhet-6497.jpg/_img900.jpg)
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 31, 2013, 12:58:38 pm
Clone out the two blurred spots at the upper edge, lighten up the shadows, and you'll have a winner. Nice composition, and it is almost an action shot :)
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on October 31, 2013, 03:03:05 pm
Nicer than any I have gotten of birds.
And Slobodan has good suggestions (as usual).
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on October 31, 2013, 03:16:18 pm
Nicer than any I have gotten of birds.
And Slobodan has good suggestions (as usual).


Now go and slobodize it ! ;)
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: AFairley on October 31, 2013, 03:52:25 pm
Now go and slobodize it ! ;)

+1  ;D

Seriously, I really like the dynamism of the "pose," a lot of perched bird shots can look sort of static.
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on October 31, 2013, 03:57:50 pm
+1  ;D

Seriously, I really like the dynamism of the "pose," a lot of perched bird shots can look sort of static.

Looks a bit like a bird of prey ...
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Seoonmie on October 31, 2013, 04:40:05 pm
Thank you all for your nice comments. You know, I actually feel the same way about most bird photography as AFairley. That's why I left the blurred berries in, to give the picture even more depth.
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: francois on November 01, 2013, 07:44:43 am
Thank you all for your nice comments. You know, I actually feel the same way about most bird photography as AFairley. That's why I left the blurred berries in, to give the picture even more depth.

Those blurred berries don't bother me at all. It's a wonderful shot and I like the attitude of the bird. You can be proud!
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: brandtb on November 01, 2013, 10:33:28 am
The view is not so great of the Waxwing itself...a bit hard to tell what it is because its head is buried...the nearly oblique wing/tail not helping either...the feeling and color is nice though
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Seoonmie on November 04, 2013, 11:17:49 am
Francois, thank you so much! Brandt, I appreciate your opinion even if I don't agree with you on this one.
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Seoonmie on November 04, 2013, 12:01:15 pm
Well, I thought that once I'm at it I might just as well post a couple more.

Here's another "action" shot:

(http://jjuntunen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Kuvia+metsist%E4/Elikoita_ja_%F6t%F6k%F6it%E4/Tilhet_pihapuussa/tilhet-6545.jpg/_img900.jpg)

Now some comments mentioned the need to see the bird in a more "traditional" bird photography-like pose. Sorry, it doesn't get more portrayish than this (shot on another day, hence the clear sky).

(http://jjuntunen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Kuvia+metsist%E4/Elikoita_ja_%F6t%F6k%F6it%E4/Tilhet_pihapuussa/Lis%E4%E4_tilhi%E4-6873.jpg/_img900.jpg)
Title: Re: Backyard Waxwing
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 04, 2013, 12:25:14 pm
After seeing more shots, my original comment still stands: they are underexposed.