Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: KMRennie on October 30, 2013, 12:44:38 pm

Title: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: KMRennie on October 30, 2013, 12:44:38 pm
I like the shot but am unsure about the silky water look. I have shot this with exposure times ranging from 1/100s to 30s. This is 3.6s which softens the water but leaves texture in the water, this was the only shot with a blink of sunshine on the trees but merging the trees into any other shot would be easy. I have only recently started using long exposures and still find it exciting but realise that it may be passe in some circles. So all comments welcome.
Ken
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on October 30, 2013, 01:05:05 pm
To me the water looks good.
But the image is too dark and oversharpened in my eyes.

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: RSL on October 30, 2013, 01:37:42 pm
+1
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: KMRennie on October 30, 2013, 01:43:00 pm
Thanks for the replies. I used to oversharpen a lot and become addicted to adding structure but seem to have slipped back into my previous habits. Hope that this looks better. Also lightened it. Ken
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 30, 2013, 01:48:03 pm
I would suggest that such a gloomy interpretation would be much more suitable in b&w. In color, it looks simply muddy.
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: Alexis Alvarez on October 30, 2013, 02:49:16 pm
I agree, I think it would work better in B&W.
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on October 30, 2013, 05:26:42 pm
I would suggest that such a gloomy interpretation would be much more suitable in b&w. In color, it looks simply muddy.

Actually the lower 2/3 of the image are already so low saturated its almost a black and white.
But I'd crop away 1/3 to 1/2 of the colored foliage in the top, just above the yellow bush to give it a more landscapish look and to reduce the colored background competing with  the foreground. Would end up in a sorta 4x5"ish aspect ratio.

I believe there are numerous possibilities to work with this beautiful shot.
E.G. I'd try to use some negative clarity on the top part to give it a more dreamish, soft look and so on ... should be fun to try various interpretations.

And yes, I like the second version better.

Cheers
~Chris
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: KMRennie on October 30, 2013, 06:59:59 pm
I have merged 2 different files, the original with the water and a much brighter with more sun on the far trees. This gives a much brighter image, although still low key, but not quite so gloomy. I may make a mono of an image from here but I still like the splash of colour leading me through. Ken
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 30, 2013, 07:07:57 pm
¾ of the image appear to be black and white, and that creates an uneasy contrast with the colorful background. Have you tried to experiment with a different white balance for the foreground (ie, warmer)? That might create a certain visual unity with the background.
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: KMRennie on October 30, 2013, 07:39:46 pm
The cool temperature of the water was caused by using stacked Lee filters to slow the shutter speed. Raised the colour temp a bit. Thanks for the comments and for making me think. Ken
Title: Re: Autumn in Scotland
Post by: David Eckels on October 31, 2013, 01:34:14 pm
I think that's headed in the right direction.