Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: TJRidgway on October 30, 2013, 08:12:16 am
-
I'm new here, but looking for some feedback.
Here's a couple of my more recent shots from the summer cruise of the USS Bonhomme Richard. Feedback is greatly appreciated!
(http://tjridgway.smugmug.com/Feedback/i-xssRt5Z/0/L/LHD-6.jpg) (http://tjridgway.smugmug.com/Feedback/i-xssRt5Z/A)
(http://tjridgway.smugmug.com/Feedback/i-3n7bPTL/0/L/Oki%20Sunset.jpg) (http://tjridgway.smugmug.com/Feedback/i-3n7bPTL/A)
-
Hi TJ, and welcome aboard. I like 'em both, but if they were mine I'd go for a bit more detail in the lows. I might even do a bit of dodging on the carrier deck. One thing you'll discover here is that when you do a jpeg conversion and then post the result on the web you lose detail, especially in the lows. The thing can look perfect on your monitor, but it'll always lose some of its perfection in translation.
-
The sky is a little blown in the first shot, can it be recovered? Ken
-
Thanks for the feedback. The lows are intentionally crushed a bit, because of how I saw the scene. It is so bright out to sea that your eyes cannot catch it all. The same goes for the second picture. I captured the entire scene with good detail and have full cloud/shadow detail, but it just looks wrong to pull it all out.
Personal preference I'm sure.
-
Right, TJ. It's your picture. You get to have it any way you want it. And Rob's right: there's too much technical nitpicking on here. The effectiveness of any picture is 99% set in concrete the instant the camera clicks. The 1% added in post-processing is always minimal.