Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: wolfnowl on October 29, 2013, 07:34:20 pm

Title: Scientists Have Created a Disk That Can Store Data for a Million Years
Post by: wolfnowl on October 29, 2013, 07:34:20 pm
This may be better in the Coffee Corner, but anyway.  Sure beats the longevity of floppy disks, but will anyone be able to read these a million years from now?  Not many 3 1/2", 5 1/4" or 8" drives around anymore.

http://gizmodo.com/scientists-have-created-a-disk-that-can-store-data-for-1449918529
Title: Re: Scientists Have Created a Disk That Can Store Data for a Million Years
Post by: Frans Waterlander on October 30, 2013, 12:27:23 am
I'll believe it when I see it.
Title: Re: Scientists Have Created a Disk That Can Store Data for a Million Years
Post by: Josh-H on October 30, 2013, 12:54:52 am
I'll believe it when I see it.

Of course with storage that lasts a million years you appreciate the irony of that statement ;D
Title: Re: Scientists Have Created a Disk That Can Store Data for a Million Years
Post by: francois on October 30, 2013, 04:56:26 am
I'll believe it when I see it.

Get cryogenized and wake up in 1 million years… then sue the scientists if the disks can't be read anymore!
 :D
Title: Re: Scientists Have Created a Disk That Can Store Data for a Million Years
Post by: BernardLanguillier on October 30, 2013, 08:28:48 am
Get cryogenized and wake up in 1 million years… then sue the scientists if the disks can't be read anymore!
 :D

Taking inflation into account you'll be rich so don't forget your friends at LL!

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Scientists Have Created a Disk That Can Store Data for a Million Years
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on October 30, 2013, 08:35:05 am
From Wikipedia: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal):
"The first humans with proto-Neanderthal traits are believed to have existed in Europe as early as 600,000–350,000 years ago"

So - are we clear what a timeframe of 106 years really means, which is roughly 2-3 times the timeframe mentioned above?
Its the time we need to evolve into a new species ...

Cheers
~Chris