Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: threebythree on October 25, 2013, 10:57:59 am

Title: Epson R3000 problems
Post by: threebythree on October 25, 2013, 10:57:59 am
Hi all,

bit of a rant for my first post - please indulge me. I recently bought some canvas media for my Epson R3000. Despite having trouble loading cut sheets, I've got it to work. However, I notice that in the media settings in the driver, there is no option to select 'canvas' as a media type. The only 'Fine-Art' media types I have available are Velvet Fine Art Paper, Ultrasmooth Fine Art Paper and Watercolor Paper - Radiant White. After trawling the web, I found a couple of posts that suggested using the Watercolor type was the way to go. OK. However, as this didn't 'feel' quite right, I contacted an Epson online help person who told me (and I quote)

"unfortunately the R3000 does not support canvas."

"Unfortunately Canvas support was removed for this product shortly after release."

"The USA product may have a different specification which allows it to print on canvas."

"the USA version of the physical hardware of the printer is different"

"There is nothing further we can offer or advise unfortunately."

Can anybody confirm or deny this? It seems amazing to me that the USA version can print on canvas and the European version can't?
Title: Re: Epson R3000 problems
Post by: na goodman on October 25, 2013, 12:55:58 pm
So, I just checked with a client of mine that has an R3000. She is located in the United States. In the media settings in the print driver window there are two canvas settings for Exhibition Canvas. I did have her check for a profile through Photoshop and she did not find a profile but as I said above, she does have canvas in her media settings. Hope that helps.
Title: Re: Epson R3000 problems
Post by: I.T. Supplies on October 25, 2013, 02:44:43 pm
As long as the drivers are installed correctly, you should have Matte & Satin Exhibition Canvas settings available under the Fine Art drop down.  In order to have this option, you need to have the Black setting set to "Matte Black".  Otherwise, the WaterColor Radient White would be the closest profile.

If you're using a Mac, you need to download the Drivers from Epson's site as the CD version doesn't install properly.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=173163&prodoid=63090295&infoType=Downloads&platform=All

You can probably use the US drivers since the printing will be the same, just different power outlet connection.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Atlex.com
Title: Re: Epson R3000 problems
Post by: NeroMetalliko on October 25, 2013, 05:19:00 pm
Hello,
my R3000 is an UE one (bought in Italy via RedCoon).
Having an US language version of Win7 64 on my PC, I have installed US drivers (6.75) and US firmware (FR11C5).
The printer goes fine, I have never used canvas but I can confirm that the canvas settings are definitely there as visible in the attached driver panel screenshot.
Ciao.

Andrea :)
Title: Re: Epson R3000 problems
Post by: threebythree on November 08, 2013, 05:34:34 am
Hi all,

sorry for the late reply to this - I've been exhausting all of my options.

1. On Mac OS X the only way to install or update drivers is through the Apple Software Update - I've done that, the driver is installed and working correctly but there is no option for canvas media

2. Judging from other replies and through trawling forums, it seems to be an issue with locale. If I was in the USA my driver would allow Canvas media to be selected, but as I'm in Europe - no dice

3. I've printed using the Watercolor media option and the results are acceptable, but I still don't 'feel' this is the correct solution - I want Canvas media to be a selectable option

Any other EU users of the R3000 have this problem?