Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: ErikKaffehr on October 21, 2013, 04:04:08 pm
-
Hi,
Here are samples from my Samyang 14/2.8 on Sony Alpha 99.
The lens dirt cheap and remarkably sharp. It has also a horrible moustache type distortion.
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Samples/Samyang/
Best regards
Erik
-
It has also a horrible moustache type distortion.
Which is simply corrected in Lightroom or ACR :-)
Yes, a real bargain.
-
Which is simply corrected in Lightroom or ACR :-)
How?
Barrel or pincushion distortion is easy, but mustache? Or you are saying that LR has a profile specific for that lens?
-
How?
Barrel or pincushion distortion is easy, but mustache? Or you are saying that LR has a profile specific for that lens?
Just download and install one of the user made correction profiles or build your own with the free Adobe lens profile creator software.
The pre-built ones are good, but if you build your own you can make individual ones for each f stop you use to compensate for the different levels of vignetting at each stop too.
-
Hi Eric
indeed, this is a sharp lens. And for this price ........
before looking at the raws - which f-stop did you use for these ?
Greetings from Germany
Stefan
-
Hi Stefan
Unfortunately, I don't know, it is a completely manual lens and doesn't record f-stop, f/8 - f/11 would be a good guess.
I will add a sample later where I used f/2.8 by mistake.
Best regards
Erik
Hi Eric
indeed, this is a sharp lens. And for this price ........
before looking at the raws - which f-stop did you use for these ?
Greetings from Germany
Stefan
-
Hi,
There is a profile built for Canon, it takes care of some (most) of the distortion. I have tweaked it to work with my Sony.
Anyway, I don't think this lens is intended for architects.
Best regards
Erik
How?
Barrel or pincushion distortion is easy, but mustache? Or you are saying that LR has a profile specific for that lens?
-
The Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is popular with the astro-landscape crowd. I think it does best at f/4 if you want full frame. f/2.8 is fine for crop. The lens has rather impressive vignetting in addition to the moustache distortion. The astro-imaging program I attempt to use requires a reference frame image for the vignetting. This 14mm lens competes very favorably in the "most fun per dollar" category.