Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on October 16, 2013, 04:18:17 am

Title: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 16, 2013, 04:18:17 am
Worth a look: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/earth/10379494/Natural-History-Museums-Wildlife-Photographer-of-the-Year-2013.html?frame=2702493

(the Natural History Museum's own site is infuriating).

Jeremy
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: SunnyUK on October 22, 2013, 02:34:51 am
Wonderful set of pictures. I must make sure to get to London before the exhibition closes in March.
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: francois on October 22, 2013, 06:41:15 am
It's a wonderful set of images, very spectacular.

Thanks for the link.
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: jjj on October 22, 2013, 10:03:13 am
Great shots as ever. Ta for the link.
Though the caption on this shot (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/earth/10379494/Natural-History-Museums-Wildlife-Photographer-of-the-Year-2013.html?frame=2702538) a was a bit annoying.

"But capturing the moment required total luck – for Jasper to be there when the wind blew and for the monkeys to be in the pool. For that luck to arrive, he had to wait another year. Returning the next winter, he determined to get the shot he’d been obsessing about. He set up using a polariser to remove reflections from the water and create a dark contrasting background, and got ready to use fill-flash to catch the snowflakes. ‘As it kept snowing, I stood there, willing the wind to pick up. I felt it just had to happen – sometimes you can push your luck if I you just wait long enough.’ "

So lots of patience and careful planning by a good photographer not luck.
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: RSL on October 22, 2013, 06:00:31 pm
Wonderful stuff, Jeremy. Thanks for catching it.

But I must say: Though I've heard of white elephants, this is the first time I've heard of a blue elephant.
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 23, 2013, 03:37:54 am
Wonderful stuff, Jeremy. Thanks for catching it.

But I must say: Though I've heard of white elephants, this is the first time I've heard of a blue elephant.


I confess that I was puzzled by why the winner had won. That's probably (one reason) why I'm not a competition judge.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: jjj on October 23, 2013, 06:51:46 am
Wonderful stuff, Jeremy. Thanks for catching it.

But I must say: Though I've heard of white elephants, this is the first time I've heard of a blue elephant.
It's the name of a particularly good Thai restaurant (http://www.blueelephant.com/london/thai-restaurant-menu/) on Fulham Broadway in London.  ;D  [Which apparently has moved down the road to the Thames].
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 23, 2013, 01:51:03 pm
It's the name of a particularly good Thai restaurant (http://www.blueelephant.com/london/thai-restaurant-menu/) on Fulham Broadway in London.  ;D  [Which apparently has moved down the road to the Thames].

At the time it opened in 1985/6 I lived about 200 yards away on Fulham Broadway and I used to go there whenever I could convince myself I could afford it. I didn't know it had moved. I once asked them about the name: they told me that it was called the Blue Elephant because its parent restaurant (in Brussels, I seem to remember) was called l'Eléphant Blue". Of course.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Wildlife photography awards
Post by: jjj on October 23, 2013, 08:19:04 pm
I only realised it had moved when I looked up the link. I don't go to Fulham Broadway that often since my sister moved from opposite FB tube station to the suburbs of Tooting.
Though I must take my girlfriend there as she loves Thai food. Can't imagine it's any cheaper after the move though.
Speaking of Brussels, one of the best Indian meals I have ever had was very near manneken pis.