Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on October 12, 2013, 04:39:21 am

Title: A local copse
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 12, 2013, 04:39:21 am
A short series of four images, similar compositions, but with enough variety to (hopefully) keep it interesting. This is a copse just up the road from me, and along the side of a regular walk & running route, so I see it in all sorts of light & weather. I think it shows the variety that can be had in a single location, and that's certainly part of what makes landscape photography interesting for me.

Comments, criticisms, all welcome

Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: stamper on October 12, 2013, 07:37:40 am
Number #4 for me. A nice specimen of Fine Art. Number #1 is probably nearer to real life but it is imo boring. When I first read the heading I thought you had missed out the letter r but you obviously haven't. :)
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: RSL on October 12, 2013, 10:04:55 am
What an interesting study of the effects of shifting light. Very nice, Bill.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: graeme on October 12, 2013, 10:23:25 am
I like #4, very dramatic shadows.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 12, 2013, 10:24:07 am
... When I first read the heading I thought you had missed out the letter r but you obviously haven't. :)

A new day, a new English word for me :)

Yes, #4 is spectacular. However, I think that taken together, as a group, all work quite fine, balancing spectacular and transient with serene and more permanent (the very quality that makes boring... well, boring).

Hmmm... Not to be totally anti-fun (as defined by LuLa bosses), but one thing bothers me in #4: as of when are clouds blue? I mean sky can be blue, clouds are white, gray, pinkish, orangish... but blue? Or is it just another British peculiarity designed to irritate Americans? I mean, we do not even have the same colors, yours are colours, after all  ;D
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: sdwilsonsct on October 12, 2013, 10:37:37 am
as of when are clouds blue? I mean sky can be blue, clouds are white, gray, pinkish, orangish... but blue?

When they are in shadow, thin, and in front of a blue sky. These look fine to me.
Nice series, #4 is especially rich.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 12, 2013, 10:41:13 am
Thanks for the comments.

As for the clouds on number 4 - greyish blue is what the clouds were, & I didn't think to change them  ;)

And a copse is a small wood. In this case, it's specifically a covert, designed to provide habitat for foxes, which would then provide quarry for (the now banned) hunting with horse & hounds, 'cos obviously foxes are pests & we don't want pesky foxes running around eating chickens. And if you spotted the faulty logic there, it's what passes for rational argument from those who liked killing foxes.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: wolfnowl on October 13, 2013, 01:28:31 am
Had to read the title twice - couldn't find the body in any of the pictures!  Sorry, couldn't resist - it's what happens to old biologists.  :)

Nice work, BTW!

Mike.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 13, 2013, 05:13:42 am
So do you not use the term in the US?
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: RSL on October 13, 2013, 07:53:12 am
I heard my grandmother use the word more than once, Bill. It's not common in the U.S., and from Mike's comment I'd guess it's not common in Canada. But anybody who reads ought to be familiar with it.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: wmchauncey on October 13, 2013, 08:55:26 am
I like the concept of the same image in different times/lighting/whatnot.  Would make an interesting print series.      ;)
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on October 13, 2013, 11:00:58 am
Very nice Bill, all of them.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: wolfnowl on October 13, 2013, 10:47:46 pm
Sorry Bill - my attempt at a bad joke.  As a biologist type person I'm quite familiar with the term copse.  Also as a bio, I was looking for the co-r-pse.

Mike.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: francois on October 14, 2013, 05:14:31 am
I'm also voting for photo #4...
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: jjj on October 15, 2013, 06:17:42 am
Hmmm... Not to be totally anti-fun (as defined by LuLa bosses), but one thing bothers me in #4: as of when are clouds blue? I mean sky can be blue, clouds are white, gray, pinkish, orangish... but blue? Or is it just another British peculiarity designed to irritate Americans? I mean, we do not even have the same colors, yours are colours, after all  ;D
I see plenty of blue clouds here out behind my house [in the UK] when sun sets too.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on October 15, 2013, 09:39:21 am
I agree with Russ that most readers recognize the word "copse", though I can't remember ever having heard it spoken.  What is nagging me is that, at the moment, I can't name the American equivalent.  A "stand of trees", perhaps, but that seems a work-around.  I trust one of our more erudite readers will be able to enlighten me.

Regards,
Dale
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Ed B on October 15, 2013, 09:53:32 am
Thicket would probably be the best American synonym.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: jjj on October 15, 2013, 12:16:59 pm
I believe a thicket is a specific type of copse - one with trees of the same type. Thicket is used here in the UK.
Is 'grove' used in the US as that seems a better match?
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on October 15, 2013, 12:50:05 pm
I see plenty of blue clouds here out behind my house [in the UK] when sun sets too.

I am genuinely intrigued... can anyone post OOC images with such clouds?
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: David Eckels on October 15, 2013, 07:46:29 pm
Each with its own lovely mood. Very nice!
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: muntanela on October 16, 2013, 03:39:53 am
I think it shows the variety that can be had in a single location, and that's certainly part of what makes landscape photography interesting for me.

For me too, an important part.
I like the pictures (very much the fourth, obviously) and your explication of the copse and of its use.
I'm waiting for a picture of the copse with the snow.
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Chairman Bill on October 16, 2013, 03:49:27 am
I've got one in the snow, but the light was very flat, no interest in the sky whatsoever. I've no doubt we'll get snow at some point, so if I can, I'll get a shot - if we haven't moved house before the snow comes, which is likely
Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: jjj on October 16, 2013, 07:42:09 am
I am genuinely intrigued... can anyone post OOC images with such clouds?
Not exactly OOC as they would be flat and lacking colour raw files. Shot has just had the basic tweaking to make it not look like crap, so looks very like a neutral jpeg out of camera, i.e. much like the scene did.

Not a particularly interesting shot and certainly not as nice as the Chairman's pics, but great sunsets on their own rarely make for exciting pics. The land dropping behind our house simply goes to black in sunset shots with nothing to shoot against, other than if one of the idiot moggies wanders in front of camera.

Title: Re: A local copse
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on October 16, 2013, 10:06:39 am
I believe a thicket is a specific type of copse - one with trees of the same type. Thicket is used here in the UK.
Is 'grove' used in the US as that seems a better match?

"Grove" is the word I couldn't pry loose from the thickets of my brain.  "Margaret are you grieving over golden grove unleaving ..."

Thank you,
Dale