Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Bill Marquis on October 09, 2013, 06:56:26 pm

Title: trees
Post by: Bill Marquis on October 09, 2013, 06:56:26 pm
I'm not sure how I feel about this one,to cluttered maybe?Your thoughts are greatly apreciated.
Title: Re: trees
Post by: David Eckels on October 09, 2013, 07:09:56 pm
I think it has a nice mood to it and the mist/fog through the trees draws me in. I know what you mean about clutter, but I think you'll find it bothers some here (like me usually!) and others that like it. Personally, I find the darker bush on the left side distracting and perhaps would have dealt with it differently. It's darkness pulls my eye away with what I think is most intriguing back in the mist. FWIW.
Title: Re: trees
Post by: Bill Marquis on October 09, 2013, 08:15:45 pm
Thanks David I think I'll try dodging that bush a bit.
Title: Re: trees
Post by: wolfnowl on October 10, 2013, 02:18:53 am
I think the image is trying to cover too much, and while the light is interesting there's too much competing for attention with no real focus.  If I might suggest...

(30 seconds in LR, so just an expression of an idea)

Mike.
Title: Re: trees
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on October 10, 2013, 03:43:09 am
I think David is right: the dark bush on the left is out of place and distracting. On the other hand, Mike's crop seems to me to overdo it; a more gentle crop on the left should be enough.

Jeremy
Title: Re: trees
Post by: graeme on October 10, 2013, 03:52:23 am
I think David is right: the dark bush on the left is out of place and distracting. On the other hand, Mike's crop seems to me to overdo it; a more gentle crop on the left should be enough.

Jeremy

+1 but it's still a lovely image.
Title: Re: trees
Post by: RSL on October 10, 2013, 12:19:51 pm
Hi Bill, I've been struggling with this one since yesterday. I really like the atmospheric perspective the fog gives it. In a way it reminds me of Asian painting, and even some real Asian scenes. And the composition is excellent. I think the bush on the left side needs to stay there. It sort of balances the two darker stands to the right. But what's holding me back from a "bravo" is the lack of a significant focal point. Still. . . it's a pretty fine shot.
Title: Re: trees
Post by: Bill Marquis on October 10, 2013, 06:40:24 pm
Thanks folks for your thoughts and comments,they are greatly appreciated.I lightened up the bush in lightroom I think it is better.
Title: Re: trees
Post by: Michael West on October 10, 2013, 11:47:37 pm
Its very well balanced now!