Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Paul Ozzello on October 09, 2013, 01:56:16 pm

Title: Modifying an ICC printer profile
Post by: Paul Ozzello on October 09, 2013, 01:56:16 pm

Can I use a Colormunki Photo to read a gray step printed using dye inks (I really like the particular bluish tone) and apply it to an icc profile for a different printer that uses pigment inks ?

Title: Re: Modifying an ICC printer profile
Post by: digitaldog on October 09, 2013, 02:35:03 pm
Can I use a Colormunki Photo to read a gray step printed using dye inks (I really like the particular bluish tone) and apply it to an icc profile for a different printer that uses pigment inks ?
I believe you can with the X-rite software that supports optimization** and you build the profile there in the first place.
**http://www.colormunki.com/product/show?is_designer_type=false
Title: Re: Modifying an ICC printer profile
Post by: ErikKaffehr on October 09, 2013, 04:20:04 pm
Hi,

I am skeptical, if you feed Colormunki with a bluish image it will try compensate by making a profile which will give more yellow tint. That is my guess.

Best regards
Erik


Can I use a Colormunki Photo to read a gray step printed using dye inks (I really like the particular bluish tone) and apply it to an icc profile for a different printer that uses pigment inks ?


Title: Re: Modifying an ICC printer profile
Post by: Paul Ozzello on October 09, 2013, 05:24:42 pm
Hi,

I am skeptical, if you feed Colormunki with a bluish image it will try compensate by making a profile which will give more yellow tint. That is my guess.

Best regards
Erik



Colormunki has a color picker module that lets you scan individual color samples and densities. The idea was to print a gray step wedge from my canon printer (it's completely NOT neutral with beautiful bluish shadows and creamy off-white highlights) and apply the color to my Epson printer profile (effectively split toning based on the Canon print). I tried replicating the tones in ABW but it's just not the same...

I wonder if this would work :
http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=757&Action=support&SoftwareID=931

Title: Re: Modifying an ICC printer profile
Post by: Paul Ozzello on October 09, 2013, 05:26:50 pm
I believe you can with the X-rite software that supports optimization** and you build the profile there in the first place.
**http://www.colormunki.com/product/show?is_designer_type=false

Looks promising :
Quote
ColorMunki is so smart it even has the ability to optimize your profile based on images for specific colors, black & white, and flesh tones for example.
Title: Re: Modifying an ICC printer profile
Post by: artobest on October 17, 2013, 05:49:21 am
I think Erik's point is that the profile will attempt to correct for the off-neutral tones, not replicate them in another context ...
Title: Re: Modifying an ICC printer profile
Post by: digitaldog on October 17, 2013, 10:18:37 am
I think Erik's point is that the profile will attempt to correct for the off-neutral tones, not replicate them in another context ...
No, it will honor the color appearance if the edits are done on the RGB data.